No start, truck stuck 300 mi from home

Turbo94idi

Reaction score
I have a 94 idi factory turbo that suddenly won't start. I drove it about 320 miles from home to help my friend move, started right up and ran perfect the whole way, as always. But in the morning when I went to start it and head home it would not start at all.
Cranked it forever, getting fuel at the Schrader valve on the filter. Also seemed to get fuel at the 3 injectors I cracked, but it doesn't smoke under cranking and definitely doesn't smell like diesel. Tried bump starting it down a little hill here but it feels like it just won't fire.
Just talked to a mechanic who said it sounds like the IP might be done. He also said to check the check valve in the return line on it. I have that off and soaking in some diesel now, but the spring seemed to move ok in there. I'm at a loss here, next step is the IP and injectors since it's at 186000 and as far as I know it's the original set.
I really just want it started so I can get it home and work on it there, I have to go back home thursday for work and I really don't want to make another trip out here to get the truck going.

Last edited:

Turbo94idi

Reaction score
Yeah, checked it with a test light and it clicks too. I should be getting white smoke while cranking if it's getting fuel right? There's little to no smoke while cranking and it doesn't smell like diesel.
I don't know how these pumps work but is it possible for it to show fuel at cracked injector lines but not make enough pressure to pop the injectors?

Turbo94idi

Reaction score
I also tried leaving it on the block heater overnight and starting it but no real difference. It feels like it almost wants to start but when it would usually fire right off, nothing.
Am I correct in thinking that I would be getting white smoke while cranking if the truck was getting fuel?
I need this truck running, if anyone has any ideas or insight it is very appreciated. I want to know if there's anything else to try before I order a new pump and everything.
I looked at the moose pumps and both the baby and junior sound good to me, what would be better for a stock factory turbo? I don't plan on modifying it much other than exhaust and intake down the road.

Last edited:

killen1

Reaction score
is it possible that you have below a 1/4 tank the shower head might have come off. i mean its a hunch have you got fuel in the filter? maybe you have air intrusion somewhere or an air blockage.

you should have fuel at all injectors when you crack them.

Turbo94idi

Reaction score
Nope I've got close to half a tank, and I've ran both tanks to empty recently so the pickups work anyway. I changed the fuel filter also.
When it first wouldn't start I thought air intrusion but I've cranked it so much I would think I got most of it out. I actually only cracked 3 that I could get to easily and they all showed fuel while cranking.
Do I need to crack all 8? It looks like I might have to take the air box off to do that.

Turbo94idi

Reaction score
Okay I'll try that later today when I have a chance. Once I see fuel at the injector lines I should tighten them right?

Turbo94idi

Reaction score
In Fallon, Nevada. I was able to get some time off work so I can be up here with the truck at least a week to work on it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the "doesn't smell like diesel" concerns me. can you remove the fuel filter and pour out the contents into a bowl and inspect? if you have a new filter put on but spike it with any ATF you can find.

Turbo94idi

Reaction score
Me too, and when I say it doesn't smell like diesel I mean the exhaust. Pretty much no visible smoke when cranking.

I put the new filter on after it had the no start issue. I filled it to the brim with diesel and diesel kleen mixed about 50/50. The old filter looked fine to me, however I noticed it was maybe about 75% full.

I had all 8 injectors cracked earlier and they were all wet after cranking. However still no smoke and it didn't feel like it was trying to fire at all. I haven't tried cranking since tightening those down since I pretty much killed the batteries. I can hook it up to a charger tomorrow.

Does my problem show signs of the IP going out? Could it just be air intrusion? I know air got in when I pulled the return line to the IP to check the little valve between the barb and IP.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wait a minute....
filter head 75% with fuel
have you disconnected the line from the lift pump to the filter head and cranked it?

have you tried crack in a can?

Turbo94idi

Reaction score
I have not tried ether. I didn't pull that line and crank it but I depressed the Schrader valve while I had my friend crank it yesterday and I was getting spurts of fuel.

Should I pull the line tomorrow and crank it? Will it show me anything that the Schrader wouldn't?