No start problem, tackling injectors and pump on my own

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little history

92 Ford F250 7.3 N/A

Bought it in 06 with 138,000 miles on it. Currently has 153,000 miles on it.

I love the truck, but only use it for camping and mexico trips.

So far I am on my first set of injectors and my second pump since I bought the truck. First pump caused the truck to blow a ton of black smoke even on the lightest acceleration and the second pump seemed to cause a total lack of power and then the dreaded no start when hot until I dumped some water on it.

I currently have a no start situation, no smoke from the tail pipe, no try to start, nothing. I assume my pump has finally bit the dust.

The first pump came from a shop that is no longer in business and the second pump and injectors came from a diesel shop in La Paz, Mexico...

I've found a reputable pump rebuilder, Omega out of El Cajon, California. I can get a rebuilt pump and injectors from him. The reason I am getting new injectors is becuase the set I had put it all have different codes on them.

So here is my plan, I am handy with vehicles, doing a lot of my own work on my gas vehicles, but I've never tackled something like this. I have all the tools, plenty of space, and plenty of time.

So any tips, tricks, reccomendations are warmly accepted!!

I printed out the 6 page article by Mel and it looks fairly simple. Once done, I can get the truck to Omega and he has a lumimeter to set the timing.

jmac212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently did the same job, which came out fine after one easily fixed mistake on my part. Take pictures of the pump, hard lines and return lines prior to disassembly. Follow Mel's well written instructions. Make your own IP wrench, 9/16. icanfixall has a series of video's on youtube that shows what shape his wrench is and also show's ford's wrench that is reported to be costly. Some members have reported in line with Mel's instructions that they were able to remove all the hard lines while still attached to the pump, I found this not to be the case for my particular situation. As long as you don't remove the line routing clamps you can throw them in a box for a year and come back to put them on and they will only fit one way. I had to remove number 8 cylinder's supply line from the pump for fear of kinking it during removal due to the placement of the turbo. Make double sure your return lines are routed correctly after installation, if they are not it will have you back here showing your lack of attention to detail; guess how I know? Good luck. Plenty of good people here to help should you find trouble, enjoy.

Just re-read your post and noticed you are N/A. Nevermind on the removal of hard lines, you are golden there.

Last edited: