No Start/ Glow Plugs Suddenly Not Working?

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, the glow plug harness. I was loosening nuts and checking wires for corrosion, good connection etc. I cut and re-crimped the heavy gauge red wire and put it back on. While tightening it all the metal broke out of the plastic harness housing. Must have been brittle. I hadn't even leaned on it yet. NAPA GPR 110 is $70.00.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess my question is: Are all GP relays created equal? Cause Amazon has them for $21. GP Harness in post #13.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go up to Autozone or O'riellys or Advance or Pep Boys and get the relay, make sure you tell them it's for a glow plug controller, bout the same price as Amazon. And lay off the heavy torquing.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go up to Autozone or O'riellys or Advance or Pep Boys and get the relay, make sure you tell them it's for a glow plug controller, bout the same price as Amazon. And lay off the heavy torquing.

Yeah, probably my fault. Oddly enough, my neighbor pulled in while I was breaking stuff and I told him what happened. He said his relay went the same way. Started fine the day before, next day nothin'. Glow plugs got trashed in the process. Replaced GP's and Harness - Voila! I do not believe in coincidences, so I am going to believe that this happened for a reason...

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my "D'Oh!" pic of the day. Enjoy!
You must be registered for see images attach

It was brittle damnit!!!

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Success!!! Glad I talked to my neighbor who happened to have the exact same problem and solution! Replaced GP Solenoid, WTS light came back on, clicked, fired right up. Man, I love the sound of that truck when it fires!!! Such a great reward when you are able to do the work to fix a problem. Thanks for all your help, guys!

I learned a few things here that may be of use to some of you...
1. The GP solenoid is different then starter solenoid. It is made to handle continuous current as opposed to on/off current. There are other details which make it better, but the info is a google search away.
2. OEM GP Harness is $59.00 at NAPA. GP111 is the part# GP110 is the exact same part that comes WITHOUT a small wire for $69.00. Yes, the on with the wire is $10 CHEAPER.
3. The wires can be reversed/interchanged. Although, I kept the wires to the small terminals on small terminals, wires to large terminals on large terminals...
The metal bracket that is riveted onto the GP harness was turned 45* so the terminals did not end up in the same place. The wires were too short to reach so I switched em.
4. The bolt that comes up through the GP controller the the GP harness bolts onto - the towards the driver side - fell down into the controller after I unbolted it. I had to use the magnetized end of my screwdriver to gently lift it up through the hole and then I used an allen wrench and put it in under the bolt from under the controller to hold the bolt threads up far enough to put the wire and then the lock nut on it. It was a huge pain in the ass. If I had known it was going to fall down through I could have grabbed it with a needle nose. Anyway, you've been warned. The bolt on the passenger side stayed in place.
5. Be gentle when torquing.

Thanks again to all of you who contributed! I appreciate all your help and patience while I learn the ropes of the 7.3.:hail:hail:hail

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks again to all of you who contributed! I appreciate all your help and patience while I learn the ropes of the 7.3.

Hey Zug; were a bunch of smart *****, we know everything. ;p :D :rotflmao

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Zug; were a bunch of smart *****, we know everything. ;p :D :rotflmao

I'll tell you what, when you want to know something it's not so bad havin' a smart ass around... The rest of the time they're just annoying:D Thanks again!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yeah.. We are like a bunch of idi flys buzzing around here... Kind of a nice pile to be part of most of the time...:eek::rotflmao:angel::thumbsup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online