No Power in 96

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
One of my bosses trucks is a 96 7.3 auto. Recently it started having the following issue: I would be driving along and it suddenly has almost no power, the check engine light comes on, it would only rev to about 2300 in N. It then goes back to normal and the check engine light comes off. It does this cycle inconsistently and for different amounts of time. Any ideas on whats going on?

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
That's not much to go on over the net. How many miles? History? all stock? How does it start when cold? Does it run ruff, like it is dropping cylinders or just no power? Need to put a scanner on it and see what codes it's tossing, And No, the Ones at AutoZone won't work on the diesel.

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not much to go on over the net. How many miles? History? all stock? How does it start when cold? Does it run ruff, like it is dropping cylinders or just no power? Need to put a scanner on it and see what codes it's tossing, And No, the Ones at AutoZone won't work on the diesel.

what type does work?

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score

Its got 214,*** miles, stock as far as I know, It usually starts fine cold or hot... every once in a while it will be stubburn and not start unless you plug it in for a while.. even when its 50-60 out. We got the truck at a auction last year.. so i don't know much on its history... I believe it was used as a ranch / work truck.

When the check engine light comes on it just feels like it has almost no power (to the floor, i can go maybe 15) but doesn't feel like its dropping cylinders or anything.

Is there a way, besides getting a code reader that i can pull codes from it. I know with some vehicles you can get codes from the dash after doing a certain sequence... Wasn't sure if that was possible with this truck.

Thanks

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
Im a nube to the 7.3, and don't know much about the ipr. Is it something that will typically just fail and need to be replaced, or is it common to have intermittent problems, and maybe be fixed or adjusted?

Thanks

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd bet on the EBPV going closed

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
So I got a scanner and scanned it.. All it said was that the check engine light was on and that there were no codes!!!! Now what??? Where to start???

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 1st thing I would do is replace the CPS. Go to an IH dealer if one is near and get one for that year. Usually around 25-30 bucs there, Ford is way up in price NAPA may have them also. CPS is located on pass side front close to damper pulley. Takes a 10mm socket for the bolt. If it's stuck, slowly twist it while pulling out, DON"T pry it out it may break off. The O'ring kind off welds itself to the hole.

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
Even with the check engine light on and the engine running poorly, the tach still works. Could the CPS be failing with the tach still working properly?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of scanner are you using?

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
Latest Update:

Today I tried disconnecting all of the plugs on the top of the motor (oil temp, icp, etc,) no change. It defiantly sounds like it missing and not running on all cylinders. I'm stuck at this point. Could this be the CPS? or if it were would it be a run / no run situation. Tomorrow i will find out and post the type of scanner I used, I know it was a nice unit that a shop uses to scan its vehicles, so im pretty sure it should have worked with the truck. It pulled no codes though... only told me that the cel was on. Again.. this is an itermitant problem, it will run rough and then normal and the cel will turn on and off, but the problem seems to mostly seems to occur when the truck is cold....

mahatma171

Reaction score
Hmmm.... Almost sounds like when an IDM goes out... but almost couldn't be that cuz as far as I know when an IDM shorts out it shorts out for good.

Some PSD's will run with an IDM problem, but poorly, to the letter of what you described. Except for the coming bcak and running normal part.

But.... for kicks you can take it off and shake the thing, see if there is any water sloshing around in it. If so, replace it. Rebuilt ones cost around $170 online, or maybe you can locate another source.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle