NO MORE GLOWPLUGS?

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
well,there are a few options.One you could go the way of the deuce and a half.Install a spark plug and fuel nozzle in hte intake.Fuel fired intake heater.....or being there ain't no glow plugs no more,a Ether bottle setup from a military truck or a big rig.Lastly,The grid heater setup like everyone has already stated.Install it in the intake manifold.There is plenty of room in there to put a Honda let alone a lil grid heater.Just drill a hole in the bottom or side and run the wires out.There are bulkhead connectors where you can run the wires through the side without a leak.I vote for ether sprayer since it won't suck juice from the batteries(the cold will already do that!).

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote for the heat gun down the intake option!! LOL

Don't laugh, It works. I did that when I lost all my glow plugs and the truck roared to life with all 8 holes on the 2nd or 3rd rollover. It wasn't quite freezing temps and the heat gun was 1500W.

Metalmacguyver, I'm not quite following. I thought the 7.3L has 21.5:1 (with 6.9s being 22.5:1 or 20.something:1 for earlier ones) compression from factory. You're showing 21.73:1 AFTER removing the glow plugs?

Did somebody say either?:backoff I coulda sworn my hackles pricked up just a second ago *looks around*:confused:LOL

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
I agree on the ether system. Might be how I go and just run the block heater when possible. I have been spraying diesels with ether and brake cleaner for years with no issues other than a motor that starts easily!! Its all about using the right amount.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
well,ether would be semi safe without glow plugs as long as it didn't fog the system.Once it gets COLD I might have to make a video of me using it in my deuce......when I post the link.Make sure you have not just eaten and are not drinking at the computer.If you do not heed those warnings I am not responsible for any damage or loses incured.It sound horrible.I thought a IDI was bad but a LD465 REALLY makes your skin crawl!

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I have used ether for a long time in diesel engines, and i have never had any problems i always shoot it threw the air filter and it doesnt make that knock that you here when you shoot it straight into the intake.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I put a cummins grid heater on a 6.2l I had once. huge improvement in starting clear down to -20 not plugged in, but the man. heater alone it wouldnt even try to start at 35 degrees

sootman73

Reaction score
i have this huge roll of high quality thermocouple wire. in a spring type form and probably 100ft roll. its about just like the stuff in your toaster from what i've been told but all coiled up. any ideas how to put this into a form and use it as a grid heater kinda thing?

maybe someday when i get my battery charger back i will see what the stuff does....

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Well i think im the first one to cut the tips off old glow plugs and put them in, but now im having to spray devil juice down the intake to get it to crankLOL

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i think im the first one to cut the tips off old glow plugs and put them in, but now im having to spray devil juice down the intake to get it to crankLOL

Really? you actually did it?

Any difference?

Now I'm wishing I saved my burned out wellman plugs:rotflmao

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Really? you actually did it?

Any difference?

Now I'm wishing I saved my burned out wellman plugs:rotflmao

only diffrence i can tell is it wont crank:rotflmao really how am i suppose to test to see if any difference? i mean power is the same everything, but i also dont have a turbo so....

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only diffrence i can tell is it wont crank:rotflmao really how am i suppose to test to see if any difference? i mean power is the same everything, but i also dont have a turbo so....

No turbo?? Then why did you do it??:rotflmao

Well I guess you know it works nowLOL

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
No turbo?? Then why did you do it??:rotflmao

Well I guess you know it works nowLOL

Well i had to take the glow plugs out anyway and i had the ip off anyway so it was easy i just cut my old autolights up and put them in there so now nobody has to be afraid to do it nothing happens lol, just have to find a way to get it to crank, my starting aid is my personal favorite devil juice one squirt and she fires off instanly without hesitation, too long of a squirt and funny things could happen:eek:LOL

RedTruck

Reaction score
I thought about this same thing as well. I even bought a spare intake manifold and grid heater from a cummins. Some cummins guys gut the grid heater assembly for more air flow...dang thing looks like a stove burner. One thing about it...if you ever got stranded you could warm up the brandy while you wait for the tow truck. LOL

A lot of the grid heaters people sell come with the relays. I think you would be time and money ahead if you came up with your own relays. This is a common fail point on the cummins engines.

I did post a while back asking if this would work, and the general consensus was no. I still plan on trying it when I get more time.

Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online