no gp's again!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
went to leave for work this morning and the wts light just blinked 1\2 a second and went out. ive already bypassed the plug with yellow wires that burns up.checked all gp's with a test light and all lit the light up. truck was not a happy camper starting this morning.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
Remember, you have to unplug the harness from the glow plug before checking with a test light. Otherwise the resistance from one good GP will make them all test "good".

Your '87 does have the newer system that cycles rapidly if more than one plug is bad. So if your GPs are good and all your connections are good then GW is right, the controller died.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
temp was about 45f. i did unplug all the gp's and tested each one independently

goatwrangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the engine warm or cold this time when you moved it ? Or are you saying the wts light acted normal? came on for a determined time by the gpc and then cycled properly or that the truck just started normally ?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i dtove home ,parked it then had to move it 20 minutes later and it worked normal.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a test light show that plugs were good, when they really weren't. Try to test them with something that has some load, like a fan motor or something of the like.

I prefer to just remove all the plugs and test each one with a set of jumper cables.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ Yes.
To me the test light method means nothing.
A ohm test would be a million times better.
Actual heat test is a trillion times better than the previous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good chance that the connectors are dirty or loose, making a poor connection to the GP. By pulling them all of and then reinstalling them might have bought you a better connection (temporarily). I would pull them all again, polish the inside with fine emery, use pliers to tighten them a little and then reinstall with a dielectric grease. Its a little bit of dicking around but start to finish should only take 1/2 hour.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
worked fine again at lunch time. takes some effort to pull the wires off the gp's.