Next year's project

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Next year I will have shop space available and my house will be paid for, so the funds will be available, and I've been planning a little project and figured some here might like to hear about it, and some may be able to help me out with the idea.

I want to build a trailer with an IDI (6.9 or 7.3) on it, an air tank, 6 Batteries, and a WMO/***/WVO tank. I want to cycle the Waste products from my truck/house/this project through filters on board and back into the tank using the PS pump, I want to charge said batteries with a beefed up 3g and use an inverter to have generator capabilities, I would like an alternator with a field wire to use it to weld as well, and I would like to use a york pump to have onboard air. I would also like to put a winch on both sides, just in casecookoo

Kinda like a work trailer with full capabilities of anything I would need around the house that is simple in design and runs more or less for free off the fluids I would normally dump anyways.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I must say I Gotta See this! I think it would be really cool. It would be like a mini power plant.

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure that you have dual 4" strait stacks on that engine so when you fire it up at night then all yer neighbours will be up too! If yer up then why shouldnt they be? LOL

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. 745 watts = 1 HP. 150 HP X 745 watts = 112 KW give or take. Let's say 75KW because we want the engine to run. Killing flies with a bazooka or welding the devil's crack together or? I wear ear plugs when I time my engine at 2k RPMs so you may want to put it on a big enough trailer that you can enclose it to deaden some of the sound. You will need to come up with some sort of governor if you want to step up to a real generator head. And if you're going to put onboard air on there, don't mess with a York. Get one you can pump some real air with. Then you can sandblast all the grease off the ceilings of chinese restaurants while you are disposing of their WVO for them.

For $1000, you can get a 13 HP yanmar IDI engine. I wonder how well one of those would do on alternative fuels?

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
In all honesty, my truck wasn't THAT loud NA, I kinda think that if I put something similar to the factory exhaust, should be quiet enough.
I could run Dual alts, or run different sized pulley on the single alternator, so I can keep around 1400 rpm(what I have noticed is torque peak). What would be a good on board compressor.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i would be more tempted to run a real generator off the back like you can off the 3pt of a tractor. that and if its on a trailer you could power a real compressor head not just a York. i dont think you will be happy with the output of a York if you are running some real tools from it.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
True, but what real options would I have for air compressors and generators, considering the Bellhousing, etc.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Next year I will have shop space available and my house will be paid for, so the funds will be available, and I've been planning a little project and figured some here might like to hear about it, and some may be able to help me out with the idea.

I want to build a trailer with an IDI (6.9 or 7.3) on it, an air tank, 6 Batteries, and a WMO/***/WVO tank. I want to cycle the Waste products from my truck/house/this project through filters on board and back into the tank using the PS pump, I want to charge said batteries with a beefed up 3g and use an inverter to have generator capabilities, I would like an alternator with a field wire to use it to weld as well, and I would like to use a york pump to have onboard air. I would also like to put a winch on both sides, just in casecookoo

Kinda like a work trailer with full capabilities of anything I would need around the house that is simple in design and runs more or less for free off the fluids I would normally dump anyways.

I was thinking of building something similar, only using a little ******* import van (nissan quest) that I have had sitting here. I was thinking of using the auto trans to pump the oil.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i would think you could drive a compressor right off the pulley on the crankshaft, the generator off the back i am not sure about that one. perhaps a SAE 2 adapter or bellhousing drilled to mount the generator?

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Belt drive would make it easier to match rpms. Look at listeroidgenerators fir ideas. Towcat has a nice compressor on Ann idi iirc