Newbie needs a wiring diagram, 92-3 F-350 HELP PLEASE!

ghettoscrap

Reaction score
I just bougth a 1992 or 3 F-350 with 7.3idi non-turbo/E4OD, 2wd, RCDRW flatbed truck and drove it home. It has some tranny problems, I think it is in limp home mode (only two gears and manul shifts a must). I tried to run the codes but got nothing but a constant beep on my cheap Actron scanner. I noticed there are only two wires going to the OBD plug as opposed to several on my gas burners. I also have a yellow wire snipped at the ECM plug for some reason and there are several other cut and cut/spliced wires in the engine compartment and under the truck at the transmission. Also, the OD button is not lighting at all let alone blinking any trouble lights at me, but the lamp is good when tested on the bench. I also have no tachometer readings, so I am sure this is also a problem since the trans needs this info.

This truck has/had a Telma Brake Retarder at one time but the controls have been removed and only the unit between the driveshafts remain. I am sure this is the source of major problems as the info I found so far suggest it is tied into the transmission and truck wiring somehow and I think when the controls were yanked, someone had no idea how to splice it all back together. I would buy a shop manual but I have not found any to be worth the paper they are printed on, especially when it comes to wiring diagrams.

If any one can help me out with a wiring diagram for this truck I would really appreciate it, I am anxious to get started on this WVO project and I can't wait to slap on this complete Banks Sidewinder I picked off a 1990 f-250 7.3idi junkyard truck last week.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first thing you have to do is get the transmission working correctly. The tach and VSS has to be working flawlessly. As you described, it is in limp mode, limp mode is mean't to just get it off the road, not for driving it any distance. The tach sensor is the 1" looking nut on the IP tower, it has a pluggin connector, follow the two wires to it, no signal from it, it needs replaced or cleaned. That code reader you have is usless on these trucks.

That yellow wire that's clipped, does it have a purple strip on it? Someone may have put or tried to wire it for the TC lockup mod.

I'll try to find the wireing diagram.

ghettoscrap

Reaction score
I took a really good look at the truck today and found the plug for the solenoid pack was not pushed all the way down on the connector so I pushed it till it snapped and stayed put. I folowed those wires that were cut under the truck and they all matched going into the MLPS, but I had one extra red/white wire dangling from the cab with no extra holes in the connector gasket. I reconnected that yellow wire (did not see a purple stripe on it) from pin 1 to itself in the harness and the truck still had tranny trouble. There are a couple of other wires cut but they are for accesories I think,

I pulled a Banks Sidewinder from an F-250, including the computer, so just for giggles, I plugged it in and drove the truck. I sure wish I had gotten the name of the company that rebuilt that computer from the previous owner that replaced it, because it was the problem, all the gears are working just fine now, although the shift overlap is absurd! I sure hope that Banks Transcommand Module will tighten that crap up! I forgot to check to see if the Tach was working now, I'll see tomorrow.

OLDBULL8, Thanks for those wiring diagrams, I'll check them out and use them to check the rest of the wiring on this truck tomorrow.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can email you a mitchell or alldata one if you want also :)

ghettoscrap

Reaction score
Danielle, that would be awesome, I wish I had the moolah to get an Alldata account. I hear it is an awsome site. Thanks for the offer. My email is ctheshank AT aol DOT com. Funny how I can find most all the info I have ever needed for my gas burners but this deisel I just got has proven to be difficult at best to find info on. Its like the oil burners are a secret society or something, lol.

Just kidding, I have really fallen in love with this deisel truck, I just wish it were a Crew Cab; I'm looking...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist