Newb Questions

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, it's been slow going, but last night I got it put back together and tonight I plan to try to start it up. I just put in new injectors, glow plugs, and return lines.

I think there is a decent chance that it might start (albeit only running on the 4 cylinders that have good compression). I have a couple concerns about starting it up at this point... the oil looks totally black and seems very liquidy. I think there is probably fuel in the oil (from spraying in the cylinders but not igniting). Should I change the oil before firing it up? Also, the radiator is not full. Is it important to fill that up first? I don't plan on driving it yet, just turning it over.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you goal is just to get the motor to light off, just leave the fluids as is. Just in case the motor has to come out. but don't leave it in there for long if ignition is successful.

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you goal is just to get the motor to light off, just leave the fluids as is. Just in case the motor has to come out. but don't leave it in there for long if ignition is successful.

Yup, my goal is just to see if it will light off. I was worried about the cylinders getting scuffed up, but if you think that won't be an issue for just running for a minute, then I'll leave the oil as is. I didn't think coolant would be a problem, but just thought I'd ask to be safe.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just finished reading all 10 pages of this thread and that's a lot of info to digest. I too would like to hear a final outcome on this truck. Funny how most everything that has been done to vt951's truck I find myself doing on a tractor at least once a week. If you do a leak down test post up pic's of the adapter you use to attach to cyl. I'm not having any luck in finding adaptors to connect my leakdown tester to my 7.3.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726