New turbo mod.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Boost is an amazing item. Its like we have a compressor pumping up the intake full of air pressure. That boost is sitting on the back side of the intake valves. Now as that valve starts opening there is an inrush of air. That pressure does not drop down just because you opened a valve. It stays full till that valve closes. Thats to the bottom dead center of the intake stroke. So if you boosting to say 10 lbs thats what just filled that open cylinder. Thinking about what it has done is amazing really.

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
77f250, with that much additional boost down low have you noticed any appreciable effect on your fuel economy? I realize you still need to have a load on the engine to get the turbo spooled up, but it seems like it is now producing more boost at a lesser load, right?

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the boost figures were running empty.
I'm still playing with my new found power so checking mpg at this time would be pointless.
What I can tell you is before this mod I could put my foot in it and roll heavy smoke for abt. 1/8 mi., now I get a cloud when I first get on it which clears within 100 ft..
Hwy.cruising, 55-60 pulling a light load around 1500-2000 lbs. boost was 4-5 lbs.
One other thing I noticed was that the boost climbs alot faster than it did with the stock turbo.

Dennis

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
77f250 Thanks for the feedback on the mod. This is good info to have. It will be interesting to see what difference the cam makes.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to see how mine performs. All this turbo talk, combined with the truck I heard yesterday(Whistling like crazy) has got me excited!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the turbo on Dans truck made it 80 miles, turns out the bushings were too tight in the center section. It was an old stock out of box garrett CHRA . Guess I should have checked it, my bad. Anyway with the pump still at NA specs it will make 10 lbs before 2k. We are turning up the pump next week I think, its a uhaul engine and it runs good. And this may be a one off mod, not sure yet. It is a huge amount of work to machine the turbine housing.

Jeff, I am actually looking at an even bigger comp wheel for your turbo. I will order one next week. I want yours to be the guinea pig before I do one for the dually.:sly

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the turbo on Dans truck made it 80 miles, turns out the bushings were too tight in the center section. It was an old stock out of box garrett CHRA . Guess I should have checked it, my bad.

Whoopsie...

Jeff, I am actually looking at an even bigger comp wheel for your turbo. I will order one next week. I want yours to be the guinea pig before I do one for the dually.:sly

Sweet!