new truck- do's&donts

rthomas

Reaction score
just got a 97 psd 4wd ext cab auto 147k blue/white runs and drives well, good power and the trans feels very solid. the only thing that concerns me is a slight chug for 2-3 seconds when started, does it hot cold using gp's or not.
what should i check, replace or modify? i have some basic psd know how but could use a good dose of info. thanks- russ

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
:cheers: on the score!

If I read your question right, the "chug" is the idle stabilizing....in other words you may have noticed the PSD has to make a few more revolutions than the IDI before starting...this is due to the high pressure oil system or HEUI.

Idle is controlled by a 'pooter...not flyweights and springs as in the IDI.

You should hear mine LOL ...it barks :D

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd say your slight chug at first is normal, its the HPOP coming up from 500 to normal operating pressure.

Man geo, these IDI'ers are converting faster than sinners at a revival on Judgment Day.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The couple second chug is common. I've swithed to Rotella 4W-40 Synthetic (available at Walmart) and it starts a lot better.

Welcome to the Dark side

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine don't chug. :dunno As for conversion, I still see the IDI in his sig. Maybe this is like the **** who celebrate Christmas? LOL

rthomas

Reaction score
as for the idi its not going anywhere for now-i need something that can pull the new one home if it craps out on me:D truth be told ive always been happy with the idi but i needed more seats and wanted cruise and air. i might have a ligit reason to keep it for a work truck so im not selling it yet

today i replaced the stock airbox with a k@n setup-lots of turbo whistle:D mabey this weekend i'll do the downpipe ir randys off road has one

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
K@N sucks
would have been better off with the open air paper element.
I agree, but so far the IDI converts seem to be on board (rather boisterously I might add) with using the K&N..........

rthomas

Reaction score
i agree the kn is a soso filter but the stock airbox is a pos and needed replacing. one trick i learned with the kn is to wrap it in scotch brite sprayed with the filter oil, the sb is kind of thick but loose so it breathes well. ive done this on the idi for years, i dont wash the filter anymore just the sb every so often

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
esandifer08

Members online