New to this site and IDI...got work to do.

cewofford

7.3 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
Well. i recently acquired my first IDI truck. So far so good. The truck is a 94 with factory turbo. Auto and 4x4. F350. Body has plenty of dents but my avatar shows how i bought it. Full replacement bumpers front and rear. Heavy duty tool box. Headache rack which i removed(needs new paint). 20 x 11 weld racing wheels. 35x13.5 mickey thompson ATZs. I think six inch skyjacker lift. Bought as is for $2000 cash. There are lots of little things that need to be paid attention to. Tomorrow i'm planning on wiring my push button glow plug controller bypass. And new thermostat. Bought one from orielly's but after finding this site took it back and bought a Ford thermostat. Glow plug relay bypass is coming from the tech article on this site. Truck came with new turbo, starter and glowplugs. I'm afraid they may be Autolites though. Best site for IDI I have found. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions iun the future and know im in the right place for that. Oh yeah it has 235,000 miles. A little blow by but not too bad says local diesel mechanic. If anyone is in my area Abilene Texas let me know. Otherwise let me know what you think about my truck. I'll post better pictures when i take some.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! I'm new myself, and the guys here definately have tons of knowledge, and are willing to help!

Nice looking truck! -Drool

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
;Sweetwelcome to OB i love this site the guys are so helpful:hail and they cover alot of stuff. i've tryed other site's before i found this one and never went back lol.:sly oh and NICE truck i can't wait to see some better pic's!!!!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for signing up here and welcome... All of us here started out just like you... One posting at a time and we were newbys once too.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ob is the best for help the people here know what they are talking about its no bs

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on what jonathan said. Anyways, WELCOME!!

So lets get right down to it. Why do you want to do the push button mod on a 92? You have a perfectly good system on that truck right? I mean, it starts good, right?

zpd307

Reaction score
x2 on what jonathan said. Anyways, WELCOME!!

So lets get right down to it. Why do you want to do the push button mod on a 92? You have a perfectly good system on that truck right? I mean, it starts good, right?

x2, they are supposed to be bullet proof. anything is possible though....

cewofford

7.3 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
it starts ok. its not that cold here. but the last few days it got down in the 20s. If I don't leave it plugged in it won't start in the morning. The wait to start light stays on for about 3 seconds. if i cycle the glow plugs again the wait to start flashes on and then back off. im replacing the thermostat because the temp never comes off cold when its cold outside. the heater takes over an hour to actually produce any heat. the top radiator hose while running for over an hour is still not too hot to leave my hand on. A new glow plug controller is like $100. the push button setup is like $15 for parts. already bought them. i thought maybe it wasn't starting because the lift pump was weak so i replaced it already. i checked the glow plugs easily reached and they show to be good. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated but after reading on the subject for the last three days, this plan seemed the best for me.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
it starts ok. its not that cold here. but the last few days it got down in the 20s. If I don't leave it plugged in it won't start in the morning. The wait to start light stays on for about 3 seconds. if i cycle the glow plugs again the wait to start flashes on and then back off. im replacing the thermostat because the temp never comes off cold when its cold outside. the heater takes over an hour to actually produce any heat. the top radiator hose while running for over an hour is still not too hot to leave my hand on. A new glow plug controller is like $100. the push button setup is like $15 for parts. already bought them. i thought maybe it wasn't starting because the lift pump was weak so i replaced it already. i checked the glow plugs easily reached and they show to be good. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated but after reading on the subject for the last three days, this plan seemed the best for me.

My truck has a similar problem warming up, though not as bad. It takes it five or six miles to start producing heat if I don't let it warm up completely before driving.
I just cut a few pieces of cardboard and put in front of the radiator. I used tree so that I could take one or two out if it started getting too warm.
Got the idea from a member on here, just don't remember who.

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
My truck has a similar problem warming up, though not as bad. It takes it five or six miles to start producing heat if I don't let it warm up completely before driving.
I just cut a few pieces of cardboard and put in front of the radiator. I used tree so that I could take one or two out if it started getting too warm.
Got the idea from a member on here, just don't remember who.

:slyglad to here it work's i use that setup every year;Sweet

cewofford

7.3 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
i was told the top radiator hose should be pretty hot after being ran for awhile yet its not. the heater was working fine a few weeks ago but has recently started this crap. its supposed to be 70 degrees here on sunday so the temp varys greatly. if i dont need a new thermostat ill take it back and get my 35 bucks back but best i can figure that is the problem.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You need to test all of them, Even one bad one will make it VERY hard to start. Your controller is doing exactly as it's supposed to, telling you that GP's are bad in the system. It's probably the #7 under the turbo.

cewofford

7.3 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
ok thats why im here. i will definately check all of them. whats a set of GPs from ford cost? as i wrote before i think someone put autolites in it, before i got it, they have been in there for a few months

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't disable the factory GP control system. Diagnose the problem, don't "fix" it by hacking up a perfectly functional system!

As suggested, make sure all 8 GP's are good and working. Spend the $12-18 each for Beru GP's from Ford, and it'll likely work fine for years. Check the bullet connectors on the GP harness, and insulate/replace them if needed. It's a solid state control system, so it doesn't usually burn up like the earlier setup in the older trucks.

Ryan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online