New to oilburners.net

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi guys.

Just thought I'd sign up since I keep hearing good things about this forum. I think I may already know some of you from FTE....

Are there any turbocharger gurus here by any chance?

I have an ATS 088 turbocharger kit and its pretty limited in the boost it puts out. Is it possible to replace the compressor side with a larger one to get more boost across the range? It has the garrett TO4B turbocharger, but I'm not sure where to start looking for the right parts.

Looking for some ideas because I can't really get much boost unless I'm against the governor and even then its not as much as the engine can take. With the tall gearing, I'd like to see if its possible to get more boost in the 1500-1800 RPM range.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
welcome aboard.

I have the 3.08 gears as well and I hate 'em. I have a 3.73 D60 in the garage that, time pending, will be in my truck in a few days.

Oh, and I just remembered you from FTE. I followed your motor build thread and a few others. I also thought you were the "Dave" everyone was talking about. Turns out it was Dave Sponaugle. He's been here a time or 2 as well.

One last thing. If you want more boost you might want more fuel. Check Agnem's posts or go to the marketplace and check out the idi performance thread. He can build you a mean Injection pump.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Non wastegated turbo's are built bigger than what the engine needs, so that they wont overboost. This means that, in the design of them, they will need more RPM's to make any boost. I hate to say it, but nongated turbo's are better up higher in the RPM's.

Now, I wouldnt go and change the intake side compressor housing, but would consider finding a smaller exhaust side housing so that it will spool up quicker. But, that means you wont see as much boost up top.

Also, how much is your pump turned up? You need heat to drive the turbine in the turbo, the more heat, the easier it will boost. You would see more boost if you turned up the pump.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barney, when you pull out that 3.08 you know where you can send it. ;) There is a horse with antlers around here that needs em'.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typ4 I think is the best expert on the OB board, the 088 turbo can make a lot of boost if it gets a lot of fuel but mine has never seen more than 6 psi at WOT. More typically 0-1 PSI. A Moose Pump or DPS pump gets you to 10+ with no intercooler or around 8 with one though. Those 3.08 gears may hold you back a bit since the non gated ATS hardly makes any boost until close to 2000 RPM.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoa, thanks for the warm welcome, guys (and gals).

No, I'm definitely not Dave Sponaugle, though I do know him online. I remember some one guy PM'd me on FTE trying to find Dave and thinking I was him. I see he has been here already, you all seem to have all made a impression on him, he never uses emoticons on FTE....

About the turbo and my truck.....

I will never part with my 3.08s. Those gears have probably saved me a few grand worth of fuel since I put them in 2 years ago. The E4OD was a little over the top, but it has helped keep the MPGs high even on the ULSD that we have to run these days. I got 9MPG @ 60 MPH when this truck came home when it still had the 4.10 gears and C6 tranny. and that was just before LSD came out. I can always just gear down to bring the RPMs up but even past 2500, its really hard to see 9 PSI. Only catch is that I can never go to 4wd since the front end ratios only go as high as 3.54. I do have a working 1356 transfer case in there since it came with the E4OD.

The fuel is not turned very high because I'm already slightly past the ideal limit of fuel burn and the black smoke starts to roll on after 5-6 psi. Yes, I can turn the fuel higher and like that I have been close to 15 psi, but thats with enough smoke to see from space. As it is right now, I have much less smoke and about the same power as when I had the fuel close to max.

For the turbo.....

The ATS 093 is wastegated and is a T3/T4 hybrid. Basically its very similar to what I have but with a smaller turbine on it (Dave Sponaugle is running the 093 kit). My problem is the 088 turbo kit has the inlet and outlet connections cast into the turbine housing. Its ATS's in house design and replacing it isn't really feasible because there is only the one version of it. I would have to make a completely new turbo system just to reconnect the Y pipe and downpipe.

This is why I am thinking of replacing the compressor side instead. This would still give me a greater size difference between the compressor and turbine and hopefully more boost. I do like the turbo kit because it covers less of the engine than the 093 and keeps EGTs quite low, I've never been to 900 yet even with some smoke rolling out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin