New to me IP that I need to time.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got an IP with a date of 98 I think.
When it came off, it had no leaks and still had fuel in all lines. I went ahead and swapped it out since I felt I was really lacking power.

The swap went fine, and it started on the third crank.

I know the idex marks are very general, but at this point I have it one dimes width to the pass side. Here is a vid of it running. Crack the throttle and I get some black out the tail end. But if I let off the throttle to quick it wants to die. In the vid, the only time I shut it off was at the very end.

I have a terrible ear, I can't even set the carb on a small gas engine. So I am looking for advise on which way I need to take it to get the timing close. The other thing I have no clue about is if or how far its been turned up. I also have no gauge for the EGT's. The advance is working and the fast idle is working as well. It had just come off high idle when I did the vid.

http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view&current=VID_20110906_200742.mp4

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Do you know of any shops nearby to time your truck for you? Even the best at timing by ear can only get it a few degrees to the proper spot. As for your wanting to die when you let off the throttle, I had this problem the other day and the cause of it was a bad injector. Try cracking your injector lines with it running and see if you hear any engine noise changes. If no change is noticed you most likely have a bad injector.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank You.....I have talked to a couple different places and they all seem to have a lost look on there face when I ask what method they use to time with.

That scares me.

It starts fantastic, but I did notice a small leak on one of the lines coming off the back of the pump that I didnt see last night. Tomorrow I will have to create a way to tighten that one line with out pulling the rest, of course its one near the bottom.

I did move the pump a dime to each side of the mark but my poor ear can hardly tell the difference.

With the old pump when I went to far advanced, I had a very slow return to idle. So I brought it back to where it snapped back to idle and it got rid of all most all the gray and light blue smoke. I thought I was close on that one but not sure.

I will have to call International tomorrow, Midway Ford truck center said WHAT!!!! a truck with no computer, NOPE theres no way for us to time it.
Isn't that nice.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kansas City Metro area, Independence Mo to be exact.

I remember reading a post where a member would ship and rent us a timing set, I think. Just can't remember who it was.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool deal, and thank you.

I just posted in claytons thread about timing. Had a brain moment and I am gonna check to see if the cold advance is up against the linkage to prevent it from returning to far. After I stop the small leak I have.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Check your lift pump pressure. you may havea fuel starvation issue ( this is, if you haven't tried replacing your fuel filter recently), then you might want to check the pump inlet screen for restriction . It may be clogged with debris ( have new olive seals on hand before disturbing the metal line) Low fuel on the supply side can cause stalling like that.

For what you would pay to have it timed, just buy the tool so you will own it for next time, and besides, that way you know you will have it set where you want it Pickup a Ferret pulse adapter and you use it with an advance type automotive timing light ( preferably a real good one, i.e. MSD, Ferret, Craftsman) We time these things at 2000 RPMs and a lot of cheap lights fluctuate before you get that high. Set it for about 9.7 deg btdc and you'll be golden. Most shops will go by the old spec and allow themself the plus or minus 2 deg the book says so if it reads 6.5, they'll call it good, but you'll get horrible fuel mileage and zero power
If you find yourself heading for central Arkansas for any reason, you're welcome to drop by and we can time that thing up

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your lift pump pressure. you may havea fuel starvation issue ( this is, if you haven't tried replacing your fuel filter recently), then you might want to check the pump inlet screen for restriction . It may be clogged with debris ( have new olive seals on hand before disturbing the metal line) Low fuel on the supply side can cause stalling like that.

For what you would pay to have it timed, just buy the tool so you will own it for next time, and besides, that way you know you will have it set where you want it Pickup a Ferret pulse adapter and you use it with an advance type automotive timing light ( preferably a real good one, i.e. MSD, Ferret, Craftsman) We time these things at 2000 RPMs and a lot of cheap lights fluctuate before you get that high. Set it for about 9.7 deg btdc and you'll be golden. Most shops will go by the old spec and allow themself the plus or minus 2 deg the book says so if it reads 6.5, they'll call it good, but you'll get horrible fuel mileage and zero power
If you find yourself heading for central Arkansas for any reason, you're welcome to drop by and we can time that thing up

The more I read about this subject the more I think itd be just as cheap/easy to drive to you, lol. Or to someone that has the equipment.:D

Id really like to get mine timed....

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank You RLDSL,

I was late getting home tonight, and could be late tomorrow as well. I hope I can look at it in the daylight since I really need to drive it Sunday morning.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I'll call you tomorrow and get the info on which line is leaking. I have a pair of crows feet that may work...if it does not seal, you have to pull the line off, and run a file down on the end to make it seal right, or get a new line...which sounds like you have.

SWS

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The more I read about this subject the more I think itd be just as cheap/easy to drive to you, lol. Or to someone that has the equipment.:D

Id really like to get mine timed....
That'd be a heck of a drive but, y'all come now, we'll get you fixed up ;Sweet

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool deal walker, I have to work again to get this project finished by Monday. :mad:

I will do my best to catch the phone tho.

Tonight I adjusted the plunger on the fast idle to the point where it almost touched the linkage. This fixed the problem of it wanting to die on return to idle.

I brought the timing back closer to the generic index mark. Starts right up, fast idle holds till warm and the advance changes as well when it kicks down.

I tried to get another vid but its really tuff to hear in the vid. To me, I think I am close. At idle, warm, when I energize the cold advance it seems to make a distinct rattle. Much more then when its not advanced.

Also, when I drove it, the skinny pedal gives me a ton of black smoke once I hit the half throttle position. Its enough that I backed out of it so the traffic behind me could see.

I am pretty sure the motor it came off of had No turbo. It was a 7.3 tho. I say no turbo since it had headers down and out the back.

My first thought was to turn it down 2 flats and see what it does, but I thought I would mention it here first.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have power now but I have smoke too.

OK....I got all the leaking lines taken care of. It starts easy, and idles nice, maybe a tad fast.

Its incredible how much more power it has now, but after half throttle it gets pretty smokey, bad enough the cars behind me back off.

I didn't want to, but I had to drive it today. I never pushed it hard and planned my trip as to not pull the long hard hills. No Pryo yet. Whats the least expensive I can get away with. I'm talking about skipping lunch's to have the cash to buy it kinda thing. I don't want to buy junk that isn't even gonna work tho.

In the mirror, I thought it was black smoke and maybe it is. But in the vid, it looks to have some grayish white. Maybe its the sun, don't know for sure.

The other vid is just driving, not sure if you can hear enough to even say if its even running half way decent. I'm gonna do my best to find someone or someplace that has the proper tools to time it this week. I have to get the pryo tho since in two weeks I have to haul the big trailer and work the motor hard.

http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view&current=VID_20110911_183748.mp4

http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view&current=VID_20110911_183820.mp4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online