New to me 6.5 N/A

rlong97150

Reaction score
Hello,

I have just purchased what appears to be a 1 out of 20 truck. Its a 1995 Chevrolet 1500 2wd extended cab stepside with a naturally aspirated 6.5 liter diesel. The truck looks showroom new with about 150k on the clock. Bought it from my uncle who worked at GM and apparently they ran 20 half tons down the line as a test. (If I am wrong, feel free to correct me).

Onto the question. Can this be turbocharged as simply as getting a Banks kit for a 6.2 or are the motors two totally different animals? No-one seems to know much about the N/A 6.5.

I do a lot of driving between Illinois and Virginia and my 89 F-350 diesel is in need of a freshening before I do the trip again. The Chevy is much newer, much more comfortable than a CC 4WD, and should get better mileage to boot.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bob

spindrift

Reaction score
Bob,

Check out the 6.2 and 6.5 forums over at The Diesel Place. You will surely get an answer to your question there because a lot of those folks have experience with the 6.2. I didn't know the 6.5 had a N/A model. :confused:

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a fried who installed a 6.5 N/A in a 85 pickup.... He replaced the 6.2..... After a while he did the banks kit, and from what i remember banks told him to get the 6.2 kit... It worked, and made a large improvement....

rlong97150

Reaction score
Thanks, I have emailed Banks this morning to see if the kit is compatible. Hopefully it will be that easy

Bob

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
There are other options to the Banks kit that are more effective. If you don't mind scavanging parts together that is...

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dieseldummy
There are other options to the Banks kit that are more effective. If you don't mind scavanging parts together that is...

Inquiring minds want to know????

rlong97150

Reaction score
I dont mind at all. I can probably lay hands on most any donor pieces as my extended family runs a heavy diesel shop. I am just not sure if I am all mecahnical or partially electronic so I dont know if a 6.5 TD donor motor will help me or if I want to even go that route. I tend to like to stay away from computers if I can avoid it

Thanks,

Bob

rubberfish

Reaction score
:confused: Here's a thought,
Why not use the turbo and manifold from a turbo charged 6.5?
A mechanical wastegate actuator, no computer required.
With the amount of 6.5 cores around, you should be able
to scrounge what you need for cheap. Just a thought,
unless you got your heart set on Banks stuff.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I ran a setup very similar to banks, so similar infact that it was the same - the banks logo. I had less than steller performance from it. If you can get your hands on the passenger side exhaust manifold, intake manifold(upper and lower), and a T3 based turbo of your choice you will be in business. The other obstacle to overcome is the computer. A computer out of a doner heavy duty '95 should do, or possibly an eprom swap? Get a crossover pipe and a good 3" exhaust and you should be set.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online