New to diesels

Austink

Reaction score
That's what I thought but wasn't real sure. I wanna rebuild my 6.9 and found a website that specialize in the idi but all they show is 7.3 parts.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can use just about anything except the heads. The 6.9 has 7/16" bolts, the 7.3 has 1/2" bolts. what are you thinking about swapping over.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. the web site is of interest and yes. Many parts of the 7.3 engine fit the 6.9. The crank, rods, cam, lifters, rockers, oil pump and all the gears up front are the same. About the only parts that differ are the pistons and the turbo rods on the 7.3 turbo engines. The 7.3 non turbo rods are the same as I have posted. Also the intake, valve covers and the oil pan are the same. We recommend running the 6.9 head gaskets on the 7.3 engines because the 6.9 gaskets have better cooling passages in them where the 7.3 has them plugged off. We can run a 7.3 head on any 6.9 engine by just bolting it on but can't run a 6.9 head on a 7.3 unless the head bolt holes are drilled out on the 6.9 heads. but it has been done by a 1/2 inch hand drill too on a bench. Personally I would only mill out the holes by using a Brodgeport mill because I was a straight true hole thru the heads.

Austink

Reaction score
The website is R&D diesel performance. I plan on totally rebuilding the whole truck. I'll post pics of the truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726