New starter, solenoid only clicks, no crank

ericconn

Reaction score
I have an 84 6.9 I am trying to get running. Got new batteries (Autocraft 27-2), tried to start and the solenoid clicked and no crank. Figured it was the starter and got a new one, old one looked pretty weathered when it was pulled. Got a new one, installed it easily, went to start and still the solenoid clicks but no crank.

Hooked the relay B & M posts up as per the Chilton manual, didn't do anything. Hooked the starter right up to the battery with a jumper cable, again nothing.

Am I missing something? Did the auto parts store give me the right batteries? That's all I can think of if I'm hooking up right to the starter and nothing happens. I will try cleaning the terminals tomorrow, but they don't look that bad not to pass any current to the starter.

Much thanks for any help.

Lots of photos here:http://wecphoto.smugmug.com/Other/f250/29418762_JjmZz7#!i=2547149355&k=FZSSZFk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You said "hooked the starter right up to the battery with a jumper cable."

The only real way of doing that is to use jumper cables for jump starting. Put the positive on the + lug. Ground to the starter body. Then use a thick wire to jump from the big + lug to the smaller + lug.
Best when done with starter removed from truck. Otherwise it could start and run you over.

It sounds like a few things could be going on: A- bad wires. B- the starter relay was hooked up wrong. C- you received a bad starter.

ericconn

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I tested and I have 12V at the starter relay, positive current seems good, so I'm getting new ground cables for both sides, and replacing the left hand side positive terminal, it's pretty chewed up.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if your engine is grounded well...

You have ground to the chassis and body, so the solenoid is clicking, but the ground going to the engine is not good so the starter can't draw enough amperage to turn over.

I can't remember if these trucks have a strap that grounds the engine to the frame or not. Anyone know the answer to this?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The battery grounds directly to the engine block on both sides. From my views I say you have a really bad cable in the pics. replace it and see what happens. Also the starter the parts place sold you is the old slow turning direct drive type. They last a long time but can't spin the engine fast. These diesels start by the fast spinning engines during the starter phase. The fast cranking creates more heat in the cylinders because when you compress air it hets up. This is why a slow cranking engine can't start. The gear reduction starters will crank the engine so fast you can't count the rpm. Most times my engine wil fire off withing the first half rpm.

Morgan Preheim

Reaction score
I had some issue with my 84 6.9l. As soon as I used jumper cables to connect both positives from each battery together, she cranked over!! Needless to say, I replaced the cables/terminal connectors and I've been fine. (Both batteries are good) hope this helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online