new seat

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys i need a new or good used seat for my 89 f250 does anyone here know what model years will be a direct fit? i'm headed to the junk yard first thing in the morning?
thanks gunnie

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i struck out at the auto recyclers this morning, any seat i found was worse than the one i want to replace, i've read somewhere that most seats have a universal bolt pattern and the difference is the mounting brackets to the floor, have any of you guys tried using a seat out of a dodge
or chevy?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well i struck out at the auto recyclers this morning, any seat i found was worse than the one i want to replace, i've read somewhere that most seats have a universal bolt pattern and the difference is the mounting brackets to the floor, have any of you guys tried using a seat out of a dodge
or chevy?
that's news to me.
I mainly own and work on fords and chevys and I can definitely confirm the two makes do not have oem seat mounting patterns that interchange. The aftermarket seat kits do have somewhat universal seat mounting brackets that must be configured to the make the seat is being installed into.
I spend most of my waking hours with my ass firmly planted in a seat. This is one area of a truck I spare no expense on. The trucks I buy for salvage will get the seat assys removed and stored away for future rebuilding. I have a upholster who loves it when I drop in for work. I used to get a year out of a seat when the vynil starts to give out. This guy is pricey but the frames don't blow out and the materials used last two years.
As a result, I've managed to stay out of the doc's office due to back issues. Now that is real savings:D;Sweet

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I had my drivers seat re-foamed....Cost me $100 and so far so good...Kinda firm but it's starting to break in....Same boat as you - couldn't find a good used one the right color or the right price.:dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I scavenged an air ride jump seat out of an International 9670 cabover in the big truck boneyard for mine., Now its smooth sailing all the way :D , can't even feel speed bumps now ;Sweet Wasn't too much fabrication to get it in.

Finding a stock seat that isn't already hammered may be a good trick. All the ones in the boneyards around here are thoroughly trashed ( of course, if the one you have is leaving you picking springs out of yur butt, I guess just about anything would be an improvement ).
Have you checked around to see what it would run to get your seat redone? In some places like CA and TX you can get it done fairly reasonable, but around here, there aren't any upholstery shops anymore except for one high end custom shop, and just about nothing leaves his shop for under $800 :eek:

--------Robert

tnmtn

Reaction score
i got lucky with the xl i have. the previous owner had taken out the front seat and exchanged it with a nice correct color 60/40 seat. it has the center console that can lift up and be a middle seat. i have always assumed this seat was out of a xlt. still the back seat is a vinyl bench seat but no one sits back there hardley anyway.
good luck,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes