New Ring a pinion

sd2649

Reaction score
New Ring and pinion

I believe I have 4.10 gears in my 89 f250 w/7.3. I am looking for something higher, a 3.55 set would be great.

What is the best place to find one?? Is my axle a dana 60?? if so, would any dana 60 gearing fit?? junkyard maybe???? any help would be appreciated. I would prefer something used but in good shape. I can't afford new:D

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the 89, but my guess is you would have a Sterling 10.25 axle. While I know they used them, I have yet to see one with a dana rear axle in it. I would guess them to be rare and the Sterling to be the most common. You can also count the cover bolts, Dana has 10, Sterling has 12.

As far as where to get them, several have had them for sale on here. You need to determine what you have first, then go looking. Might even check Ebay, but I would ask around here first.

Here are a couple of pictures that might help you identify it:

Attachments

• Danacover.jpg
    Danacover.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Sterlingcover.jpg
    Sterlingcover.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 0

discbrks

Reaction score
Check out car-part.com - enter your zipcode and it will search salvage yards in your area.

jrou111

Reaction score
We've got a local u-pull-it that has a couple of SRW 3.55 rear axles (NO DRW! -cuss ) for $65.

I was thinking about swapping the whole thing on my truck from 4.10 to 3.55.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will give you warning in advance. If you buy a new gear set make sure you buy one that is quality. DO NOT BUY A CHEAP RING AND PINION. I personally recommend either Yukon or US gear as they have been the ones with the least noise issues. Make sure whoever you have set them up knows what they are doing especially if you buy a used set of gears. I just recently did a gear swap for a customer that supplied his own gears and was going nuts trying to find the reason for the noise on acceleration. It was finally taken to another shop that does nothing but axle work after I had removed and reinstalled the gear set 3 times trying to find the noise. It was discovered the customer had bought a cheap set of gears and they would make noise no matter what because of how they were made.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radeon1314

Members online