New pump, runs like crap

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I am charting into a bit of unfamiliar territory...I got the IP swapped (and did NOT remove the cover between the pump and the oil fill neck)...got it primed and started, at first it was acting like air in the lines, then setteled into sounding much more like a cummins (rattle vs. its normal smooth) and was idleing somewhere closer to 450~500 and blows a white hase when reved.

I have not done anything as far as timing, and there are no scribe marks on the rebuilt pump to give me a baseline. The pump does look like it is leaning slightly more towards the passanger side.

Thoughts on where to begin?

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just about to edit my post along those lines.....I am assuming too advanced would be similar to too rich in a gasser world...and thats how it feels, smells, and sounds.

Moving the pump towards the drivers side makes me retarded corect?

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are no marks on the pump, and being that I have never dealt with diesel timing I am a bit out of my league, but from researching it sounds like being to advanced is the ticket.....gonna go back it off a bit after dinner and see what happens

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Thats what my truck did with the timing to advanced, idled clear, but left a white smoke trail all over town.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

I plain out admit to being a smartass, and my wife has more than once said "stop being such an ***hole" or "why do you have to be such an ***hole to them" to me.....

I also know I'm not the only one on here, but you can't see the smile on my face when I post a comment....

but please... for the sake of the children (and my sanity).... read the wording of what you're writing before posting people...... because sometimes, openings like this are just too good to pass up, and I LIKE being a member of this forum LOL

but did retarding the timing help out any?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just about to edit my post along those lines.....I am assuming too advanced would be similar to too rich in a gasser world...and thats how it feels, smells, and sounds.

I seriously doubt it is a timing problem. At idle, the range of timing advance is pretty tolerant. Timing becomes much more critical at higher RPM and under load. If you have blue smoke at idle it is most likely leaky injectors. Take a look at what the Moose Truck is doing in my avatar gif. That blue smoke is from 3 injectors that were leaking pretty badly.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jwalterus...dont worry, the wording was intentional; figure it gave me a cover if any of you ever meet me in person...I could blame my personality issues on the advice gleened here. Along the same lines I always enjoy the acronyms we use...IDI is indirect injection; IDIT is indirectinjection turbo; but in both natural progression from fords assembly line, and what most men here aspire to we all want indirect injected overdrive (becuase we got zf-5's before turbos) turbo's...or IDIOT's

humor is good for the soul....

Mel...my idle is totally clear....just white haze at about 1500 rpm, all the injectors are new delphi's so I am seriouly hoping they are good.

Going out to play with it now....a few too many beers last night being a responsible adult I try not to get drunk and retarded at the same time.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay...i did find the scribe marks, and the pump mark is about 3 dimes towards the drivers side of the adapter mark....and i am having a b**** of a time trying to turn it to center.

When I started I was about 5 dimes off, sounded like a cummins but no smoke till I revved past 1200...at 3 dimes sounds more like a PSD, but I have an intermitent white smoke at idle....all of the injectors are new from MWFI (and I am wishing they would have come from typ4 or mel just for added security)

Gotta have it running by tomorrow

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try lining the marks up which is what as know as static timed and see it that does anything and then advance from there. I have mine about 2 "dimes" advanced and its pretty close. Runs great and only smokes when I lug it or hammer on it.

grog85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the timing marks are that far off, I'd try loosening the injector lines on the pump to make it easier to twist the pump, so you're not trying to bend the lines.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there has to be an easier way....pulled all the injector lines, got it lined up....cross threaded injectors 1 & 7 in the process of putting it back together....I am ready to burn this f****ing truck to the ground