new pigtails....

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
It's been a few years since I did the UVCs and cover gskts so it was no surprise when the ol girl started getting ****** about cold starts.
Relay checked fine so dug into the connectors and found the culprit{s}....
You must be registered for see images attach

So...unravel the wirelooms and found the ground and the shielding tape kinda not shielding much any more....GRRRRRR!

Got a new kit from Accurate Diesel that had UVC, cover gaskts and pigtails ;Sweet Had a new set of Berus in reserve and in they went! all but 2 of the old Berus were fine so they are now emergency spares...goes without saying that all connections and plugs were coated with dilectric grease!
And work began...amazing how much oil vapor gets inside the wireloom...wiped them all down, cut back and staggered the joints so as not to make a bulge then slid on some adhesive lined heat shrink, roll twisted, soldered the joints the set the heat shrink...I was kinda surprised at the heat wear on the wiring harness wire jacket....thankfully the new pigtails replaced the brittle last few inches!

Now the problem was finding the shielding tape...ferd gets it pre-assembled in the wiring harness..NAPA etc...do not carry it, neither does Radio **** ...so after having a cold one and thinking where to find some...I remembered saving some of the drops when I was in the shipyard in Morgan City a couple summers ago...well I got lucky and had some shielded wire:thumbsup:
Strip the jacket off...uncoil carefully the shielding wrap then install, tape the ends, wrap the ground then re-cover the loom! Nice having connectors that actually have clips on them hahahaha!
OH YEA! back in business...ol girl fires right up again despite her 330k miles:D

Last edited:

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
What's the difference between old style (2 connector) and new style (1 connector) valve cover harnesses? Any pros and cons between the two?

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
94.5 thru 97 OBS PSD used the 2 per bank....change was in 99 up...you can go to singles on OBS--almost wire for wire and I thought deeply about it but while price is actually cheaper...... time was not on my side.....

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
94.5 thru 97 OBS PSD used the 2 per bank....change was in 99 up...you can go to singles on OBS--almost wire for wire and I thought deeply about it but while price is actually cheaper...... time was not on my side.....

Is the single wire a better set up? I need to replace the entire engine harness on an OBS PSD and want to know if I should "upgrade" to the singles if they're any better.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
the single has bigger glow plug contacts and are resistant to melting
Ive never changed a SD harness due to ,elting, but have changed many OBS ones that melted

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've gotta be honest with you. When Geo posted this thread I was seriously expecting to open it and find out about his new hair do and possibly an alternative lifestyle. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online