New member with low mileage IDI

blakpete91

Reaction score
I joined this forum a while back to help me fix my issue with my lift pump leaking. I figured it was time I made a proper introduction.

I acquired this truck mainly to tow around my Toyota pickup which use to be my DD but is now my offroad toy. She's a bone stock (except for muffler delete and 1/4 turn on pump) 1988 F-250 with now 69,*** miles on her. Has the 7.3 NA IDI mated with the z-5 manual 5 speed transmission. 4.10's in the rear so I can't do normal highway speeds. I currently go to school at Texas Tech University here in Lubbock Texas so if your a local say hello!

Anyways on to some pictures.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cow boy camper

My Toyota

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to oilburners! Nice truck.

One question though, why can't you reach normal highway speed in Lubbock with the ZF/4.10 combo? That should net a top speed of..... 97 mph?

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, the F250 really looks good. The Toyota looks like fun too.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Oil Burners the best site for info on these trucks, and engines.

Please if you have not already, take a look through the Tech section, the FAQ section, and quite sadly the Hall of Shame section to familiarize yourself with these trucks and sadly some of the poor retailers whom just have no customer service. Though from what you've said it sounds like your already working on some basic info and such

HI there, Nice rides...both..too bad the Toy wasn't a diesel too.. LOL

I like the camper in the canopy that's a kewl idea.

Toy flexes alright, do you plan a SAS for it?

Keep yer eyes open in the Marketplace and you may find a turbo for that truck as they do come up from time to time.

Please take a few minutes, fill in you signature, go upper right to settings, then on left side to edit signature. Helps us know what you have when you post.

Again Welcome to OB

Al

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin, hes doing less than speed limit because its probably screamig and sucking down the fuel at an alarming rate lol. Even when i go 110 i notice a big difference in economy vs 100, and i have 3.55:0

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Justin, hes doing less than speed limit because its probably screamig and sucking down the fuel at an alarming rate lol. Even when i go 110 i notice a big difference in economy vs 100, and i have 3.55:0

Understandable. I just saw the "can't", and know the highest speed limit here is 80, so it threw a flag in my head.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a very nice truck you got there. I sure wish I had that 5 speed in my rig. Your setup is more than capable of running down the highway. When I'm going 60 mph, I am cranking 2600 rpm with my good old c6. I'm sure you are cranking less than that with your 5 speed setup even if you do have 4:10 gears.

blakpete91

Reaction score
I run around 3k at 70-75. It will do it but mileage goes way down. Riotwarrior the toyota has total chaos GEN II caddy kit up front and a giant motorsports 63 in leaf kit in the rear with Kings all around. I've got about 6K in the suspension with labor and parts. She likes high speed stuff better than rock crawling but will crawl if she has too.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Welcome to Oilburners. I'd say the 1/4 turn on your IP is just enough to compensate for wear. It would be a good idea to have a pyrometer on your rig as it does see tow duty and N/A rigs can get hot, even hotter than a turbo'ed rig. If you happen to get it timed, it would be great info to share is well, assuming its at the factory new setting right now. These mechanical rigs as you know, don't have a computer to compensate for wear so it has to be done manually so to say by adjusting the fuel delivery and timing. If everything is on the up and up, you should be about half way through the service life of your pump and injectors. Some good fuel additive will go a long way towards assuring you another 70-80,000 miles out of your current set up.

I have had 235/86-16 tires on my truck and turned 2500 rpm's @ 75mph in 5th gear. It is relatively easy to bury my speedometer if its what I want to do.:peelout You should elaborate on this "normal highway speeds" dilemma as you have the prime set up for towing. Are you running out of power, are you towing in 4th gear?

Good luck with both of your trucks, the Toy looks like a blast as well.:sly;Sweet

blakpete91

Reaction score
I haven't done anything but turn it up a quarter. Do I have to re-time her as well? Has plenty of power and I tow at 5th but the RPMs are pretty up high. Will it hurt the truck if she runs at 3K crusing speed?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You can run it at redline all day long, if you can keep fuel in it.
Apparently these were originally made as stationary engines running gen sets and such, where they run redline all the time. IIRC.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow @2600 rpm at 65. i couldnt live with those fuel cost associated with that! Im just a hair under 1900 at 55mph, and even thats too high fir my likings lol. Mind you its pretty bad for towing, at 1850 rpm id have to drop to 4th to maintain speed up a mild grade pulling only 3-3.5k. Dont like going 3/4 pedal just to maintain speed, she definitly likes 2500+ for towing. however im on ond fuel components and never ever see any smoke

Simple solution, these trucks need 4.10s and brownie boxes! Best of both worlds

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow @2600 rpm at 65. i couldnt live with those fuel cost associated with that! Im just a hair under 1900 at 55mph, and even thats too high fir my likings lol. Mind you its pretty bad for towing, at 1850 rpm id have to drop to 4th to maintain speed up a mild grade pulling only 3-3.5k. Dont like going 3/4 pedal just to maintain speed, she definitly likes 2500+ for towing. however im on ond fuel components and never ever see any smoke

Simple solution, these trucks need 4.10s and brownie boxes! Best of both worlds

I have been averaging between 16-18 mpg on the highway. And that is going around 60-65mph with the engine turning 2600-2800 rpm no load flat land.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster