new member needs advice 6.9 f-250

Lugger007

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've read over many of the threads, but sitll need some help. I'm new to the diesel world and need some advice and guidance. I was reccomened to the site by a fellow member on FordTruckWorld.

I found an 86 f-250 6.9 diesel reg cab long bed here in CT for asking of $700.
Is this a good deal or no. Below is the link for the item. She needs some work and TLC. I want this truck as a projcet to learn on, but very new to body work and the world of diesels. But very willing to learn.

If not too much to ask what should I be looking for when I go to look @ this on thrusday? What should I check? And also what are the major issues with these trucks? Thanks guys.

Brian

86 1 tonhauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it starts and runs and drives it a good deal, most of the old idi diesels need tlc but there pretty reliable but dont expect a speed demon truck there just work horses , and actually get pretty good fuel mileage

86 1 tonhauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oil leaks, injector return line leaks, vacume pump not working, brake power booster leaking vacume, rear end seals leakin gear oil into the brake drums, worn out steering gear boxes,

86 1 tonhauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow thats a nice lookin truck u would be stupid not to buy it, i would buy that truck in a heart beat

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the tilt front. The engine running like he says it does is worth more than what he is asking for the truck;Sweet

Lugger007

Reaction score
tonkadoctor,
agree w/you about the hood. That caught my attention. Really like it. Like the 95-97 ish frount ends but with the tilt I think it makes it 10x cooler.

What do you guys think this truck is truely worth, w/the obvious body work she needs. I think 7 is low also, but if i went with say $500 cash in hand, you think I could get her?

Lugger007

Reaction score
I have minimal skills when comes to body work. But I've always wanted to learn. I'm only 20 buthave all summer to learn and try. Have couple buddies who do this for a major hobbie and are willing to teach me. Thats why I'm looking @ this. Needs work but not too, too major

Lugger007

Reaction score
thanks guys for all the help...
Anything else in particular i should look for mechinally or beware of.
Main issue will be to check the frame.
If no issues there will probally offer him about 5 and see if he takes, if not then we'll see. Really want it though

Thanks guys.

Brian

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site:D
any f100-f350 reg cab sheetmetal will work. You're going to need a bed, so go find a truck with good sheetmetal and a blown up motor. swaping the sheetmetal is a no brainer. Four bolts, brakes and steering and you're in. the time consuming part is the electrical but a diesel electrical is easy. take me a afternoon at the most to change out a harness.
good luck!

Lugger007

Reaction score
towcat u mentioned changing the harness. What would i need to do that for, unless your talking about finding a donor rig and just swapping powerplants

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat u mentioned changing the harness. What would i need to do that for, unless your talking about finding a donor rig and just swapping powerplants
odds are you will get a better deal on the sheetmetal if the donor is a gasser. gasser and diesel electrical is like apples and oranges but the nice thing is the diesel electrical is not hard to do just time consuming.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online