New member here

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to get political here, but it seems to me that cars in the 70's and 80's were way more fuel efficient, and I think it is not the oil companies but rather the EPA dictating what fuel mileage is gonna be, but that is all I will say about that ;Really I def need to get a OD gear in this truck for it to be happy going down the highway, and I think a NV4500 if I can find one or the ranger gear splitter since I already have almost everything for the swap to the sm465, the $1400 the ranger splitter costs will be taken care of quickly with the fuel savings. I have heard the parasitic drag for the TH400 is 46 HP's, that is unacceptable in my book. The parasitic drag for a manual tranny, 0 HP that i know of.

I am not sure what it is either but there is always some drag to turn the bearings and gears but not anything like turning a HYD pump .... you can fine a NV4500 from a mid '90's Chevy for a decent price ... I just found a '95 Chevy complete with one for 500 on CL ... juist have look around .... the chevy's just have a slightly smaller input shaft and Main drive gear gear than the Cummins NV4500 comes out with ... you can upgrade them for around 300 in parts and another 100 to install the Idler gear nut lock upgrade ... either way you go you will have to mocify your drivelines ... if you could find a nv4500 and then put the ranger gear splitter in front of it you would have a double O/D and realy git the MPG's up where they should be in the first place ...
Have you ever experimented with HYD .. you will be realy impressed with the increase in MPG's with just a little HYD injected into the intake ... with the 5.9 it takes about 6-7 liters a minute production from a generator to quadruple your existing MPG numbers .. so take my 33-34 OO/D MPG and X4 and see what you get .. I have done this in real life driving ...
There are some real skeptics on this site that say that it is not possible... but it is ... I went 306 miles on 2.4 gals of diesel .... then my plastic Hyd generator housing melted ... when I put in the 2.4 Gals I was thinking that my fuel gauge had stopped working cuz it stayed pegged over the full mark ... and I squeezed in as much as I could possibly get in .. which I did not do on the initial fill up at the starto f the trip .. so in actuality I probbly got a little better than what the numbers come out to from the info given ... and this from the BIG BLUE 4X4 DUALLY in my sig pic .... I plan on putting the GV O/D on my 92 Toyota Four Runner 5-speed .... It has a 2.2 liter Isuzu turbo diesel in it and gets right at 50 mpg now so with the OO/D and Hyd gen I should be able to push out around 200-250 MPG from it ..
PS:... 1-1.5 lpm of Hyd on a '01 dodge cummins took the MPG numbers from 22 - 27... and 3LPM pushed it to 36 mpg ... these numbers are on a 400 mile trip through some flat and some mountain terrain .. about half and half .... and driving at moderate speeds (55-60) .. and these test runs were done on multiple trips over the same route...

Last edited:

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what it is either but there is always some drag to turn the bearings and gears but not anything like turning a HYD pump .... you can fine a NV4500 from a mid '90's Chevy for a decent price ... I just found a '95 Chevy complete with one for 500 on CL ... juist have look around .... the chevy's just have a slightly smaller input shaft and Main drive gear gear than the Cummins NV4500 comes out with ... you can upgrade them for around 300 in parts and another 100 to install the Idler gear nut lock upgrade ... either way you go you will have to mocify your drivelines ... if you could find a nv4500 and then put the ranger gear splitter in front of it you would have a double O/D and realy git the MPG's up where they should be in the first place ...
Have you ever experimented with HYD .. you will be realy impressed with the increase in MPG's with just a little HYD injected into the intake ... with the 5.9 it takes about 6-7 liters a minute production from a generator to quadruple your existing MPG numbers .. so take my 33-34 OO/D MPG and X4 and see what you get .. I have done this in real life driving ...
There are some real skeptics on this site that say that it is not possible... but it is ... I went 306 miles on 2.4 gals of diesel .... then my plastic Hyd generator housing melted ... when I put in the 2.4 Gals I was thinking that my fuel gauge had stopped working cuz it stayed pegged over the full mark ... and I squeezed in as much as I could possibly get in .. which I did not do on the initial fill up at the starto f the trip .. so in actuality I probbly got a little better than what the numbers come out to from the info given ... and this from the BIG BLUE 4X4 DUALLY in my sig pic .... I plan on putting the GV O/D on my 92 Toyota Four Runner 5-speed .... It has a 2.2 liter Isuzu turbo diesel in it and gets right at 50 mpg now so with the OO/D and Hyd gen I should be able to push out around 200-250 MPG from it ..
PS:... 1-1.5 lpm of Hyd on a '01 dodge cummins took the MPG numbers from 22 - 27... and 3LPM pushed it to 36 mpg ... these numbers are on a 400 mile trip through some flat and some mountain terrain .. about half and half .... and driving at moderate speeds (55-60) .. and these test runs were done on multiple trips over the same route...

I have heard and read a little about that, thought you were supposed to use a mason jar or something though, not plastic. pm me some of your sources and secrets, i am def interested here. This is the reason i purchased this truck was for mileage and the possibility of WVO, but if i am getting around 25 mpgs i am not going to worry about the hassle of WVO

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you aren't able to recieve PM's ... contact the host on this site and see why you can't and let me know and I will try to sendit again

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW ... I have a '98 12V cummins in my backyard that only has 77858 on it ... It was in a wreck that took out the front axle and pushed it back into the oil pan and destroyet the frame ... I pulled the pan off and pulled 2 mains and 2 rods and the bearings still look brand new ... just needs a new oil pan and I stole the vib dampner off it ... I would consider selling it ... (was planning on swapping it into my truck just cant find the time and cant be w/o the truck long enough to get'r'done)

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW ... I have a '98 12V cummins in my backyard that only has 77858 on it ... It was in a wreck that took out the front axle and pushed it back into the oil pan and destroyet the frame ... I pulled the pan off and pulled 2 mains and 2 rods and the bearings still look brand new ... just needs a new oil pan and I stole the vib dampner off it ... I would consider selling it ... (was planning on swapping it into my truck just cant find the time and cant be w/o the truck long enough to get'r'done)

I would consider buying it, but beings that I live in Alaska, probably not going to happen. I have downloaded a few videos off youtube about the hydrogen generator, loooks pretty straight foraward.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.2/6.5 trucks are capable of more hp with less money than any 73. or 6.9L idi's. Mostly because of parts availability as 92 and newer 6.5's had turbos factory so there is a surplus of turbo parts and we have more aftermarket turbos available than a crummy banks. I have a 7.3 banks turbo and 6.2 banks turbo and my 93 dually ate their lunch, i was well over 20 psi when i let out, they are too small.

A larger turbo on a 6.2 than a banks will not harm longevity in any noticible way UNLESS unpropperly monitored (stock gm turbo's are junk). A bigger turbo with less back pressure and a more equal back pressure to boost ratio (close to 1:1).

The heath cam is supposed to be good enough for a turbo later on down the road BUT i am not a heath fan and opt out for a Delta cam and new springs.

If you are starting from scratch I suggest building a center mount turbo. You could use TD6.5L van manifolds.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the 6.2 motors, have run them since they came out. Even with the 700R4, never any problems.

I have an 84 CUCV with the J Code engine and 400 tranny. Stock gearing and 37" Hummer tires on custom rims, it builds a lot of heat with the tranny, but can be expelled easily enough. I got it last winter and it got even 22-23 mpg in the current setup driving through a snow storm in 4wd. I love these engines.

At the moment I am transplanting a 6.2/700 combo from an 82 Sub into another setup. Details later. Between my 6.9s and 6.2s, I have some good old engines that will run whatever oils are put through it and get great mileage. I run NA and may at some point put a turbo into my towing truck, but for now I am happy. I may not be as fancy and fast as the new diesels, but I get better mileage and have an easier engine to run and maintain.

And as far as a lot of the other forums, they are not as open to anything that they can't chip into more power or run turbos. This is the finest forum that you will find, with a lot of knowledge and wonderful people who will bend over backwards for you. What you can't learn here, doesn't work.

Fred

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Thanks to you and this thread I finished the pump instal Sunday and have been driving my 86. I hope you don't sleep well knowing you made me finish a project! LOL

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.2/6.5 trucks are capable of more hp with less money than any 73. or 6.9L idi's. Mostly because of parts availability as 92 and newer 6.5's had turbos factory so there is a surplus of turbo parts and we have more aftermarket turbos available than a crummy banks. I have a 7.3 banks turbo and 6.2 banks turbo and my 93 dually ate their lunch, i was well over 20 psi when i let out, they are too small.

A larger turbo on a 6.2 than a banks will not harm longevity in any noticible way UNLESS unpropperly monitored (stock gm turbo's are junk). A bigger turbo with less back pressure and a more equal back pressure to boost ratio (close to 1:1).

The heath cam is supposed to be good enough for a turbo later on down the road BUT i am not a heath fan and opt out for a Delta cam and new springs.

If you are starting from scratch I suggest building a center mount turbo. You could use TD6.5L van manifolds.

Thanks for the comments, but not really interested in a turbo at this point. I am looking at NA performance here. There are too many 6.2l/6.5l in the junkyard today with turbo related issues. You may not agree, but that is my view on it.

I love the 6.2 motors, have run them since they came out. Even with the 700R4, never any problems.

I have an 84 CUCV with the J Code engine and 400 tranny. Stock gearing and 37" Hummer tires on custom rims, it builds a lot of heat with the tranny, but can be expelled easily enough. I got it last winter and it got even 22-23 mpg in the current setup driving through a snow storm in 4wd. I love these engines.

At the moment I am transplanting a 6.2/700 combo from an 82 Sub into another setup. Details later. Between my 6.9s and 6.2s, I have some good old engines that will run whatever oils are put through it and get great mileage. I run NA and may at some point put a turbo into my towing truck, but for now I am happy. I may not be as fancy and fast as the new diesels, but I get better mileage and have an easier engine to run and maintain.

And as far as a lot of the other forums, they are not as open to anything that they can't chip into more power or run turbos. This is the finest forum that you will find, with a lot of knowledge and wonderful people who will bend over backwards for you. What you can't learn here, doesn't work.

Fred

I can get an 82 6.2 right now for a couple hundred bucks, and am thinking I might because that was the year they had more nickel content than all the other years. I agree you can't beat the mileage from a 6.2 NA, and with a few modifications to the intake exhaust and IP, you can have decent numbers. I think a 6.2l NA is capable of putting out plenty of power for ANY duty that you should want to do with a light duty truck. I think it is cool to have a pickup with 500 HP and 1000 Ft. Lbs of torque, but are you EVER going to use all that power unless you are sled pulling? I don't think so. I will not be pulling a 30,000# sled down a dirt track anytime soon with my truck, but I will be able to haul a 10,000# trailer on wheels down the highway pretty easily with the setup I have proposed. Maybe flying by a Dodge putting him in the ditch with my blinding cloud of black smoke doing 90MPH in a 70MPH(hate when those punks do that) will not be taking place. But I will be mosying along at 65 sippin diesel fuel. :sly Thats pretty impressive that you were getting those numbers with a TH400, I am sure your 37" tall tires had something to do with it, but still, that is pretty sweet. What kind of cooler did you have on your 700? there is supposedly a fresh one behind that 82 6.2 i was talking about, would it help to get a deep pan? i have had bad luck with the 700's in the past and said I would never get one again, but I hear alot of mixed reports on them, some love them and some hate them.

Thanks to you and this thread I finished the pump instal Sunday and have been driving my 86. I hope you don't sleep well knowing you made me finish a project! LOL

Well I apologize for lighting a fire under your @$$ resulting in you giving your 86 some much needed TLC!! LOL Glad to hear you got it back on the road, I bet you had a smile on your face when you started driving it down the road. I can't wait to get home to start on mine, about 3 1/2 weeks and I will be out of this crazy place and be home where I belong. So ho are you liking your setup, IIRC your IP went out shortly after installing the headers? Would be interested if their was some noticeable increases or not.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
There is a pretty big difference. Schieds diesel extravaganza is in 2 weeks so I will have some #'s fir you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance