New member here

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, new to the thread, i have been active in some other threads but just came across this one and since I have an ole 6.2 diesel thought I could get some good info from you guys. Here is my ride as it sits now, there will be alot mods coming for it, most of them are sitting in my garage. I am deployed to the "Stan right now so when I get home in October I will be able to start working on this, I can't wait.

You must be registered for see images attach

Going to keep it in NA form, I do not want to put a turbo on at this point, just want to see the power I can squeeze from it all natural.

Here is my list of things that I have already and some that I do not
-4" Suspension Lift
-SM465 4 speed to replace TH400
-Old school aluminum slotted mags
-33x12.5 TSL's
-4" custom cold air intake
-Headers from Stan's Headers
-Ported and polished heads
-3" true-dual exhaust probably through glass packs just cause I like the way they sound :sly
-Lower end girdle kit
-(Wish List)Ceramic coated pistons bored .30 over, keeping 21.5:1 CR
-Head stud kit
-Rebuilt DB4544 IP turned up
-3.73 gears all around
-Timing gear replacement kit
-(Wish List) Heath Diesel custom cam for NA setup with springs
-Custom made Water/Alky Injection kit, (still in planning stage)

So what do you guys think? I think this will make a dead reliable rig and pretty much maintenance free. Of course I won't be smoking any Dodges or fords any time soon with it, I will be mosying along sippin diesel though for years to come. Hoping this puts me even with the 6.2 they put in the HMMWV's which were putting out an impressive 165 HP and 330 TQ, if I can get that I will be very happy.

Open to suggestions and comments, thanks guys.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Have fun is the only advice I have. I did the same thing with my 6.9. Port polish,headers, cam, intake. Water **** is getting worked out in my head. LOL different govern spring and valve springs are planed

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have fun is the only advice I have. I did the same thing with my 6.9. Port polish,headers, cam, intake. Water **** is getting worked out in my head. LOL

I have and still haven't got it out of my head that I wanna at some point go to the 6.9, one of the earlier ones with high nickel content. I think they are great motors and have alot more power than the 6.2

Did you notice a difference after doing all the mods?

What is your plans for the Water/Alky setup?

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I don't have a turbo truck but it feels way stronger then my n/a stock does. I'm working on using a tps to trigger the water.

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a turbo truck but it feels way stronger then my n/a stock does. I'm working on using a tps to trigger the water.

Sounds like a good idea using the TPS, I was wondering if there was a way to get a vacuum to hook a pressure switch to to activate it. that would be golden.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea using the TPS, I was wondering if there was a way to get a vacuum to hook a pressure switch to to activate it. that would be golden.

I wanted the something but think tps should work also 3" duals sound sweet! I have headers 3" the 3.5" off the y-pipe soon it will go through my 5" stack

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted the something but think tps should work also 3" duals sound sweet! I have headers 3" the 3.5" off the y-pipe soon it will go through my 5" stack

That is going to be nice, I can't wait to get home to start working on mine. These V8 diesels sound awesome through flow master or glass packs. :backoff

Did you notice a mileage increase with your mods? What mileage are you getting, when your not making a bunch of black smoke that is LOL

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
That is going to be nice, I can't wait to get home to start working on mine. These V8 diesels sound awesome through flow master or glass packs. :backoff

Did you notice a mileage increase with your mods? What mileage are you getting, when your not making a bunch of black smoke that is LOL

Well the mileage is a funny question. My ip died right after I got to drive the truck. So I don't know mileage but it sucked fuel and was make noise till that point.LOL Man for n/a it was moving!

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the mileage is a funny question. My ip died right after I got to drive the truck. So I don't know mileage but it sucked fuel and was make noise till that point.LOL Man for n/a it was moving!

That sucks man! But sounds like you were happy with the results. For the price I would pay for a new banks system I can totally go through my entire motor adding some nice performance mods and get my IP rebuilt and end up with a dead reliable rig that is making some nice power. Its a no brainer for me......hope you get your IP up and running soon, must be killing you, i know it would be me.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Oh it is. I have a pump half way on but haven't had time to finish putting it on. And yes it is killing me! August 25 I want to put it on the dyno

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh it is. I have a pump half way on but haven't had time to finish putting it on. And yes it is killing me! August 25 I want to put it on the dyno

Well good luck and please put some numbers up, I will be very interested to know how well the headers and modified exhaust helps these. Have you modified your intake air in any way?

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Well good luck and please put some numbers up, I will be very interested to know how well the headers and modified exhaust helps these. Have you modified your intake air in any way?

I have a banks intake and a hypermax cowl induction. Had dual RAM air but haven't had time to perfect it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cause I have to be different ;Really
If you want to make meaningful improvements in horsepower in the 6.2/6.5, you will need to turbo. still, you will be limited due to the lack of oil cooling jets on the bottomside of the pistons. otoh, the upside is you have less rotating mass in the 6.2/6.5 compared to the 6.9/7.3 so you can spin faster than a 6.9./7.3. I've pretty much patterned my 6.5 after what Oliver Diesel has done to their 'burb. and have been very impressed with the results. my buddy's C20 will leave my F350 standing still at a light and all I did was add a WG Banks TE06H turbo from a 7.3 to where a OEM turbo was at on a 6.5. don't try to kid yourself, by the time you have ported your heads and added headers, you minus well have saved up your money for a turbo kit. Want to be "different"? work on adding a water to air intercooler to the turbo setup.