New member here

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very true, there are alot of trucks with FACTORY turbo related issues. Too much back pressure from the small turbo blew the HG's from too much cylinder pressure and if the block wasnt good then the crank didnt hold the pressure either. Better turbo's are out there and have been put to the test for over 100K miles and show very few signs giving out soon.

I'm not trying to talk you into a turbo but just letting you know that there are options for if/when you decide to turbo it.

I like that you are going to push the limits of a NA 6.2, I'd like to see one get close to 200HP or even break 200!

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very true, there are alot of trucks with FACTORY turbo related issues. Too much back pressure from the small turbo blew the HG's from too much cylinder pressure and if the block wasnt good then the crank didnt hold the pressure either. Better turbo's are out there and have been put to the test for over 100K miles and show very few signs giving out soon.

I'm not trying to talk you into a turbo but just letting you know that there are options for if/when you decide to turbo it.

I like that you are going to push the limits of a NA 6.2, I'd like to see one get close to 200HP or even break 200!

200HP out of an NA 6.2, now that would be something for sure! I think I might be able to get 180, but that is it. The NA 6.2 in the HMMWV were putting out 165 HP and 330 TQ, I think with my setup I will be in the 170's in the horse power and closer to 350 TQ. Not saying that 200HP's can't be done, and if anyone could do it it would be the "clevite kid" or Dr. Lee from over at the DieselPage.com, I think he is way more passionate about NA 6.2's than I will ever be. And he has a pretty impressive setup putting out some good 0-60 times, but he doesn't have any dyno sheets on it. But I think it would be fair to say he got every bit of performance out of the NA 6.2 as is possible.

I agree that the stock GMX's are crap, and would never have one, but just seems like the guys who put on the ats kits or the banks kits can't leave well enough alone and have to keep pushing it till something breaks, i guess that is in our nature, and I know I would be in the same boat if given the opportunity, so trying to restrain myself if you will by keeping it NA. LOL

Now I do think you can build up the 6.2 to handle 15PSI boost on a continuous basis, but it would be pretty involved process....everyone defending their turbos always brings up the 500 HP heath motor, but I don't think the normal person has the pocket book and the resources that bill and his gang had, that motor was far from stock. I think the way to go would be to get the 18:1 CR pistons and get a bigger turbo like a hx40 or something like that and run with a wastegate pushing 15 PSI or so, with ARP head studs, o-ringed heads and a nice big oil pump. I think that setup would be very reliable and I could live with that. Add an intercooler and you would be set, that would be putting out some very nice numbers and would haul anything your brakes could stop, thats for sure.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hit 25 psi on an aftermarket (not banks or ats they are still too small) on a stock 6.5 with 236mi and use the truck to tow over 20k.

Check out thetruckstop.us for some out of the box thinking. There is a heath na cam going into a truck for mpg there too.

Heath didn't use gm turbos on his lsr truck THAT HAS NEVER BEEN DYNO'D

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hit 25 psi on an aftermarket (not banks or ats they are still too small) on a stock 6.5 with 236mi and use the truck to tow over 20k.

Check out thetruckstop.us for some out of the box thinking. There is a heath na cam going into a truck for mpg there too.

Heath didn't use gm turbos on his lsr truck THAT HAS NEVER BEEN DYNO'D

So the Heath diesel never was on a dyno? or he got a new truck that he hasn't dyno'd? Wonder where everyone is getting there numbers from?

I will check out the truckstop forum, i have lurked over there quite a few times, maybe I will join up over there. Thanks for the heads up on that.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heath has only used a calculation to get his numbers for the truck on the salt flats and came up with close to 500HP, he has never dyno'd it and never plans to, same with his parts he sells. Just seat of the pants dyno normally. That is my beef with his stuff and not saying his parts dont work and improve these old rigs but for the price i want more testing and dyno #'s.

Check out TTS and the turbo work they are doing. Very interesting stuff

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heath has only used a calculation to get his numbers for the truck on the salt flats and came up with close to 500HP, he has never dyno'd it and never plans to, same with his parts he sells. Just seat of the pants dyno normally. That is my beef with his stuff and not saying his parts dont work and improve these old rigs but for the price i want more testing and dyno #'s.

Just found out I have been a member over at TTS since April when I bought my truck! Forgot all about it. I have been reading through the cam grind thread, interesting stuff.

I am with you on the price of Heath's stuff, $600 for their cam for the NA 6.2! How much power could I really achieve with a hotter cam in a NA application? I am thinking not $600 worth, but I am still curious if it would add to MPG's and better air flow and maybe a little more grunt. i may be curious enough to try, who knows!

Black dawg

Reaction score

That is just stupid, if you want to be THE guy who sells 6.5 stuff, wouldnt you want to dyno your products?

Also what would you do to a maybe 500hp 6.5 to get it to hold up for any length of time?

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is just stupid, if you want to be THE guy who sells 6.5 stuff, wouldnt you want to dyno your products?

Also what would you do to a maybe 500hp 6.5 to get it to hold up for any length of time?

He did a lot of stuff to it, here is the article from dieselpowermag.com on it http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/chevy/1006dp_500hp_65l_diesel_race_engine/viewall.html.

IIRC, I have read that the motor did not hold together for very long, but I think I might be dreaming or something, because for the life of me I cannot find that article.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first was a 6.5 and it ran good but had some troubles although still ran. Next he built a 599 cast 6.2L set at 22:1 compression, twin 9cm custom turbos on custom headers (rumored turbos, not sure if it is fact), studs top and bottom (pretty sure he didnt use a girdle and doesnt believe in them), scat or improved crank, I'm sure the cam is custom as well as springs and rockers, built 4L80, and 3.08 gears. I have heard he pays attention to detail and probably has some sort of stress relief done to the block I'd guess and ALOT of balance work since it runs ~6000rpm

NONE of the 6.5 vendors sell dyno'd parts, mostly just claims

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, but not really interested in a turbo at this point. I am looking at NA performance here. There are too many 6.2l/6.5l in the junkyard today with turbo related issues. You may not agree, but that is my view on it.

I can get an 82 6.2 right now for a couple hundred bucks, and am thinking I might because that was the year they had more nickel content than all the other years. I agree you can't beat the mileage from a 6.2 NA, and with a few modifications to the intake exhaust and IP, you can have decent numbers. I think a 6.2l NA is capable of putting out plenty of power for ANY duty that you should want to do with a light duty truck. I think it is cool to have a pickup with 500 HP and 1000 Ft. Lbs of torque, but are you EVER going to use all that power unless you are sled pulling? I don't think so. I will not be pulling a 30,000# sled down a dirt track anytime soon with my truck, but I will be able to haul a 10,000# trailer on wheels down the highway pretty easily with the setup I have proposed. Maybe flying by a Dodge putting him in the ditch with my blinding cloud of black smoke doing 90MPH in a 70MPH(hate when those punks do that) will not be taking place. But I will be mosying along at 65 sippin diesel fuel. :sly Thats pretty impressive that you were getting those numbers with a TH400, I am sure your 37" tall tires had something to do with it, but still, that is pretty sweet. What kind of cooler did you have on your 700? there is supposedly a fresh one behind that 82 6.2 i was talking about, would it help to get a deep pan? i have had bad luck with the 700's in the past and said I would never get one again, but I hear alot of mixed reports on them, some love them and some hate them.

When I have an auto truck, especially the 700s (learned an expensive lesson when I bought my truck used and half the tranny was in the lines , cooler, and radiator. Turns out the guy before me didn't know how to change fluid) I buy the LARGEST cooler I can find for the vehicle. Even if I take up half the radiator, but I always put a spacer between the two. Then I have an inline cartridge filter with a port for a temp switch that i intend to install. And last but not least I find an extra capacity tranny pan with a drain plug. It's all worth it for the drain plug. Then I make sure I rum synthetic fluid through the tranny, totally worth it. The extra capacity allows more oil which means there is more cooling at any time than with the stock amount. I'm hooked on Synthetic fluid ever since I started using it in everything in the very early 90s.

Yeah, I completely agree that the 37s help with the mileage with the 400. If I want to run in normal torque range, I just drop the NP208F into low range and it's fine off road. When I want to cruise on the highway I go back into high range on the transfer case. Those tires howl like a PIG! But they get the job done. I'd like to fully get all I can out of the blazer, but I can't see putting a 700 into it right now since I use my truck with normal low gears and 700 for long trips and mileage. And the 400 is happy to work to get the EX Military truck running. My little guy LOVES for me to pick him up at daycare in it. So although not the most practical of rigs, it gets decent mileage even with that set of HUGE tires, and the camo paint job is nice for parking by the woods for hunting.

You know, when I went through 2 of the 700R4 trannies in a short amount of time, I hated them like nobody else! I have NOTHING nice to say! But the first tranny was on its way out when I bought it, the rebuild was a crack job, and when I bought a GoodWrench to drop in after that, the technician left all the cooling lines blocked up with debris and it cooked itself. But a lot of ******** and paperwork and I got a brand spank me new one put in. This time I made them show me the radiator was clear and I put a new cooler on big enough to cool a Saturn V rocket. And I have over 200K miles on that tranny now which towed a lot of things on the farm, pulled people out of ditches in winter, moved myself out to Wy and back, did a LOT of trail running, and still shifts like a top. It's amazing. I have a very good one now, the others were crap but maybe not due to Gen Motors, but technician errors and my mistake of buying a truck with a nasty worn transmission.

But it belongs behind the 6.2 in my opinion. The mileage is incredible. My 82 Suburban 4x4 with 6.2 and 700R4 with 30" tires and low gears got me between 28 and 32 mpg regularly. Can't complain there. And this rebuild was done in the mid-late 80s when GM had that recall. No work done on it at all.

Good luck!

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I have an auto truck, especially the 700s (learned an expensive lesson when I bought my truck used and half the tranny was in the lines , cooler, and radiator. Turns out the guy before me didn't know how to change fluid) I buy the LARGEST cooler I can find for the vehicle. Even if I take up half the radiator, but I always put a spacer between the two. Then I have an inline cartridge filter with a port for a temp switch that i intend to install. And last but not least I find an extra capacity tranny pan with a drain plug. It's all worth it for the drain plug. Then I make sure I rum synthetic fluid through the tranny, totally worth it. The extra capacity allows more oil which means there is more cooling at any time than with the stock amount. I'm hooked on Synthetic fluid ever since I started using it in everything in the very early 90s.

Yeah, I completely agree that the 37s help with the mileage with the 400. If I want to run in normal torque range, I just drop the NP208F into low range and it's fine off road. When I want to cruise on the highway I go back into high range on the transfer case. Those tires howl like a PIG! But they get the job done. I'd like to fully get all I can out of the blazer, but I can't see putting a 700 into it right now since I use my truck with normal low gears and 700 for long trips and mileage. And the 400 is happy to work to get the EX Military truck running. My little guy LOVES for me to pick him up at daycare in it. So although not the most practical of rigs, it gets decent mileage even with that set of HUGE tires, and the camo paint job is nice for parking by the woods for hunting.

You know, when I went through 2 of the 700R4 trannies in a short amount of time, I hated them like nobody else! I have NOTHING nice to say! But the first tranny was on its way out when I bought it, the rebuild was a crack job, and when I bought a GoodWrench to drop in after that, the technician left all the cooling lines blocked up with debris and it cooked itself. But a lot of ******** and paperwork and I got a brand spank me new one put in. This time I made them show me the radiator was clear and I put a new cooler on big enough to cool a Saturn V rocket. And I have over 200K miles on that tranny now which towed a lot of things on the farm, pulled people out of ditches in winter, moved myself out to Wy and back, did a LOT of trail running, and still shifts like a top. It's amazing. I have a very good one now, the others were crap but maybe not due to Gen Motors, but technician errors and my mistake of buying a truck with a nasty worn transmission.

But it belongs behind the 6.2 in my opinion. The mileage is incredible. My 82 Suburban 4x4 with 6.2 and 700R4 with 30" tires and low gears got me between 28 and 32 mpg regularly. Can't complain there. And this rebuild was done in the mid-late 80s when GM had that recall. No work done on it at all.

Good luck!

I really appreciate your input man, i will take first hand experience over numbers and figures any day of the week. I think I am going to go ahead and get that 6.2 with the 700 behind it and just stick the 700 on there for now until i get my sm465 all put together. I will look into the bigger pan with the drain valve on it, and I already have a pretty big aftermarket cooler on my truck as it is. Again, thanks for the input, priceless info on these forums.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online