new injectors and a new shake

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the title basicly says it all. before new injectors the truck had bad fuel mileage and power was way down, not to mention it had a shake in it just off of idle. i replaced the injectors with 8 new ones and power and fuel mileage is unbelievable. after the swap i still have the shake but its at idle now and alot more noticable. i also noticed that i can hear a (pinging) sound on the passenger side of the engine with it running at idle. what could be causing the shake and the pinging noise that im hearing. what symptoms could leaving one of the brass washers in the head cause? i know when i removed the injectors that i made sure every washer came out with the injector, but maybe the previous owner left one and i didnt notice it being in there.:dunno

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Did the injectors get pop tested before install?

I've had bad brand new ones straight out of the box.
Pinging (spark knock sound) is usually a sign on over advanced timing.

Depending on the IP's prior timing in relation to the old injector life, the new injectors may have given enough edge to have the timing a little too far advanced.
Rotate the IP clockwise a dimes width from the 2 marks to see if that eliminates the pinging that you hear.

From there, try to get it properly timed or hook up with somebody close to ya that has the meter to do so for ya.;Sweet

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you mentione a "shake" ;Really
After installing 8 NEW BB injectors and a rebuilt IP(db2) my once perfectly smooth idleing 7.3 now has a rough idle.
Also...the engine most of the time sounds like it has dry lifters, clack-clack-clack! :eek:
Frustrated I pulled all 8 injectors, pop-tested and all were clean and popped at a good number (1875 +- 25)
However... this rough idle >**** poor fuel mileage> and sewing machine sounding engine I never had before :frustrate

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the injectors get pop tested before install?

I've had bad brand new ones straight out of the box.
Pinging (spark knock sound) is usually a sign on over advanced timing.

Depending on the IP's prior timing in relation to the old injector life, the new injectors may have given enough edge to have the timing a little too far advanced.
Rotate the IP clockwise a dimes width from the 2 marks to see if that eliminates the pinging that you hear.

From there, try to get it properly timed or hook up with somebody close to ya that has the meter to do so for ya.;Sweet

no i didnt pop test them before i installed them. after i put the new injectors in it changed the timing alot. i turned the ip to the drivers side because it sounded like it was to advanced and thats when i started to notice the increase in hp. with the old injectors the pump was rotated as far to the pass side it would go. i have a snap-on luminosity probe meter but havent had the time to check it out and see where the timings at.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you mentione a "shake" ;Really
After installing 8 NEW BB injectors and a rebuilt IP(db2) my once perfectly smooth idleing 7.3 now has a rough idle.
Also...the engine most of the time sounds like it has dry lifters, clack-clack-clack! :eek:
Frustrated I pulled all 8 injectors, pop-tested and all were clean and popped at a good number (1875 +- 25)
However... this rough idle >**** poor fuel mileage> and sewing machine sounding engine I never had before :frustrate

hammerdown i to have the clacks as of now lol. ever since i changed the injectors the clack has gotten alot louder. the clack doesnt consern me its the pinging knock that i hear on the top side of the engine on pass side that does.:dunno

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hammerdown i to have the clacks as of now lol. ever since i changed the injectors the clack has gotten alot louder. the clack doesnt consern me its the pinging knock that i hear on the top side of the engine on pass side that does.:dunno
Consider this...the rebuilt IP/junk I got had the scrib mark filed off and a new one was put in its place >and not straight, but like this /
When I lined up their leaning IP mark with the mark on my housing I too had a slight pinging/rattlecan sound. I figured it was too advanced so I rotated the IP clockwise some .060 That noise went away but it's still sounding like a busted sewing machine clack-tick-clack-tick and shaking with poor fuel mileage.
f'ing BS I'll tell ya. :mad:

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The scribe line is put on the engine at the factory. It means nothing after the pump has been changed. Also ,new injectors will retard timing because the higher pop takes longer to open the nozzle. I had G codes in my engine for a while and it was very loud till I advanced the timing. Went back to E codes reset timing ,much better.
BTW if using a NA pump with or without turbo, use na injectors, If using a turbo pump, use turbo pop pressures.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Consider this...the rebuilt IP/junk I got had the scrib mark filed off and a new one was put in its place >and not straight, but like this /
When I lined up their leaning IP mark with the mark on my housing I too had a slight pinging/rattlecan sound. I figured it was too advanced so I rotated the IP clockwise some .060 That noise went away but it's still sounding like a busted sewing machine clack-tick-clack-tick and shaking with poor fuel mileage.
f'ing BS I'll tell ya. :mad:

Same issue I am having!

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same issue I am having!

Not to hijack the thread but the only thing I can attribute my issue is to a poor quality IP rebuild. All new BB's tested good and had no blockages...I had hoped one or a few were clogged, not so.
When funds permit Mel's guy will get my original 22 year old IP...F, I would remount it but I had to turn the adjustment screw to see what it was about.:frustrate

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hammerdown... Why not reinstall the 22 year old pump and sent Mel the suspect pump??? Seems like the older pump ran better than whats in the motor now. That way Mel could tell you what was wrong with the new pump if in fact something was wrong. The only reason you may not want to do this is maybe you just want the older pump rebuilt because of the mileage on it. But if it worked as well as you state... Well I would have it back on my motor without waiting another minute. Then if you still have the same issues its still time to be digging deeper into things... These injection pumps do make plenty of internal sounds. Some owners call then noises but to me they are sounds till they are a noise. A noise is a unwanted sound thats unpleasnt to the ears.:D. Start the motor and remove the oil fill cap. On all of my motors it sounds like something is loose and about ready to fly out of the fill spout.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hammerdown... Why not reinstall the 22 year old pump and sent Mel the suspect pump??? Seems like the older pump ran better than whats in the motor now. That way Mel could tell you what was wrong with the new pump if in fact something was wrong. The only reason you may not want to do this is maybe you just want the older pump rebuilt because of the mileage on it. But if it worked as well as you state... Well I would have it back on my motor without waiting another minute. Then if you still have the same issues its still time to be digging deeper into things... These injection pumps do make plenty of internal sounds. Some owners call then noises but to me they are sounds till they are a noise. A noise is a unwanted sound thats unpleasnt to the ears.:D. Start the motor and remove the oil fill cap. On all of my motors it sounds like something is loose and about ready to fly out of the fill spout.
As I mentioned in prior posts...when I removed my original IP I was very curious about that side adjustment fuel screw...so silly me went turning on it, in all directions, and of course I have no idea where it originally was set. Also, when removing the OE pump I wasn't overly concerned how clean of a place I stored it...I didn't toss it in a dirty corner but put it in a box but, was not as surgically clean with mine as I was installing the others.
Send this rebuilt IP to Mel for diagnosis...I ain't spending one red cent on this f'ing pos IP. When it comes off and it will, it'll be lucky I don't throw it as far as I can.
Now see what ya went and done...my South Philly Italian temper is rising.-cuss JK...lol

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online