New guy with some questions

71IDI4x4

Reaction score
Yes it does have a tach but it would be very difficult to make it work with this year of truck and look factory. Aftermarket may cost more but itll be easier.

71IDI4x4

Reaction score
Well got the 7.3 into the truck today and got all the stuff done underneath other than snakin the downpipe up the trans. Got a couple pictures but left the camera over at the silo I had to cut some extra casting off the y connector on the ps, but other than that and bendin the cab flange down to make sure theres room for the down pipe and up pipe its been a bolt in affair. Even have a good three inches behind the down pipe elbow off the turbo. Had a question on the wiring on the 7.3 one end hooks to the starter solenoid on the fender what does the other end hook to that has the plug, after glow switch?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I looked into the factroy tach from a gasse conversion. There is a dakota digital dash setup that uses the flywheel as the hall effect to make the signal, then goes into one of their boxes to convert it to the correct RPM. Never got around to it and ended up finding one out of a bricknose. Still does not work...but at least it is in (may just need a sensor).

As far as the brakes go, don't risk your safety. Its just not worth it. Or, not so much for your driving skills, but for the lady who pulls out in front of you while you are doing 40 mph and can not get enough pressure to work it. I swapped in a hydro setup and it is leagues different than even a vacuum setup. I highly recomend it.

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
And I forgot, but maybe if you aske really nice, bikebuilder will post pix of his dash progress from the initial start to what it is now...Please?

SWS

71IDI4x4

Reaction score
Thatd be great to see some pics of it. Ill be doin the hydoboost as soon as I can figure out what booster/master cylinder will work on my truck. I dont have enough power for a welder over at that silo so im kinda limited on what I can build. I do have a torch so brazing is an option just gotta learn how.

71IDI4x4

Reaction score
Well got it pretty close now just need to add fluids, put the radiator in, get the down pipe snaked in with the pyro sensor on and hook up the gauges then itll be ready to start. Figured out my wiring for it just used the same setup that the 6.9 had on it just cut the glow plug ends off the 7.3 harness and soldered em in after I taught myself how to solder good enough to make it stick. Got a few pics for yall.
Donor truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

Mine.

New motor.

Turbo clearance.

Broke off the little elbow for injector closest to the filter while messin with the wiring.

My temporary fix was to grab one off the 6.9 and drill the holes out to 3/16ths ill get a new one along with a new CDR valve and air/fuel filters.

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Figured out my wiring for it just used the same setup that the 6.9 had on it just cut the glow plug ends off the 7.3 harness and soldered em in after I taught myself how to solder good enough to make it stick.

That is the worst thing you could have done. The 7.3 GP system is SUPERIOR to the 6.9 in EVERY WAY

71IDI4x4

Reaction score
That may be so but on this truck everythings custom so thats what I found to be the quickest and easiest way to do it. I know it worked before just fine and I didnt have a wiring schematic of the harness to tell me what wire to hook to the ignition and glow plug button. It may not be what you would do but it works and thats all that matters.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Yeah...you need to swap over the 7.3 controller too. Otherwise, your GPs will not heat up enough and burn out. They have a different voltage.

SWS

71IDI4x4

Reaction score
What voltage do they run at? The way the PO had it wired was two wires comin off the starter solenoid on the fender and splittin up to go to the individual glow plugs so theres not any controller just a button in the cab and thats the same way I wired it. Good news is I got it started today but the oil cooler needs new o rings and my little fix for the injector didnt work so ill get a return line kit for it tomorrow along with o rings and gaskets for the oil cooler.

71IDI4x4

Reaction score
Found a way to do the hydroboost thatll be easy to make work on it Ill do a write up on it when I get the parts and if anybody would like to see how Im plannin on doin it.