New guy with some questions

71IDI4x4

Reaction score
Howdy I bought a 71 F-250 highboy that somebody shoehorned a N/A 6.9 into. Im goin to be puttin a 7.3 with an ATS turbo in its place. The 7.3 is out of a 93. The 6.9 is an early to mid 80s motor. I was wonderin if there is any difference in the two flywheels as far as how they are balanced, also would like to find a tach for the thing. I know it needs a diesel specific tach but I am tryin to figure out how to wire it in with the Ford sensor on the IP. Any help will be appreciated.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
The flywheels will interchange, I am running a 7.3 flywheel on my 6.9. As far as the tach, it might be easier to just find an aftermarket tach that uses an alternator sensor to read RPM's. Otherwise, I'd say you are going to have to somehow mount a factory tach to utilize the tach sensor. There may be an aftermarket tach that would work with the factory sensor, but I'm not sure.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to OB, the best IDI knowledge base on the net.

Sounds like it's a sweet build, gotta get us pics so we can have a view of what your doing.

7.3 should just bolt in no worries about balance. You did not mention what transmission your using is it an auto or a manual.

As for the tach sensor, I personally have no clue if it's compatible with non stock tachs. It is a very good question one I want to know the answer too as well. We can wait and other more knowledgeable members will chime in and just may have an answer for us.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welocme to the best forum where the simplest question is answered with respect. Nobody here will kick you when your down. There is some lite hearted teasing but thats part of the atmosphere around these parts.
Nobody will claim to be an expert here either. I like to remember that an amature built the ARK and professionals built the Titannic.....:eek::angel: Nuff said about that. We do have more combined knowledge than any dealership anywhere and we offer repair suggestions free. Now where can you get that offer...:dunno
As for bolt and go from a 6.9 to 7.3 its just that. Both blocks and heads are drilled the same. So any part that bolts to either block will interchange easily. As for a balance issue with the flywheels or flexplates... Yes, there is a slight differance but you will never feel it nor will it harm anything internal to the engine. These engines have a balance issue that was corrected in later builds. The cam gear was off balance so a new gear was made with the proper balance lugs on the back side of it. You can tell the differance by the two drilled and threaded holes in the unbalanced one. The new one does not have the holes in it. When the engine is idleing you will feel a slight shaking about every 5 to 8 seconds.. Not a problem as much as a feel you don't like. It hurts nothing. Most every part of the 6.9 and 7.3 engine internals are the same part too. The rods, cam, crank and many other parts are the same. Seeing that you have an early 6.9 it may have a block issue. The eraly A blocks were known to crack around the block heater but that was changed later on. Why are you putting a 7.6 inplace of the 6.9. If its power differances you wont feel any between the 6.9 or 7.3. Head bolts are 7/16 in the 6.9 where the 7.3 got 1/2 inch bolts. Most here will upgrade to the ARP stud kits for eash engine too. I did a distructive pull test on a new 7.3 head bolt several years back. It broke at 154,000 lbs of pull. A ARP stud breaks at 200,000 or 220,000 lbs. Plus you can reuse the studs many times over without ever stretching them to fail like a stock head bolt. Hope this helps you along the way. Don't feel your about to ask a stupid question either. We don't look at a question that way around here...:sly

71IDI4x4

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome looks like a great site. Thats good that the balance is ok I was worried about that bein a problem. The trans ill be usin is the 4 speed and advance adapters overdrive thats in the 71 now. I thought about the alternator driven tach but the calibration thing kinda made me shy away from it and I thought the IP sensor would more accurate. I dont suppose anybody knows which wire on the sensor is for power and which is for signal?

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
The factory tach sensor does not get power. It generates AC, each tooth on the IP gear generates a pulse, and that's what the factory tach reads.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54186 is a thread that explains it fairly well.

Looking at that gauge, and the sending unit for it. It may work with the factory sender. Defiantly let us know what Stewart Warner has to say about that.

I for one am curious. As that sender is quite a bit cheaper than the stock one, perhaps it could work for the factory tach?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why the swap to the 7.3?

Anyway, I've run a 6.9 flywheel, pressure plate, clutch and T19 transmission on my 7.3 IDI for years. No balance issues at all.

Welcome to OB! Got any pictures of the truck?

Heath

71IDI4x4

Reaction score
Alright got off the phone with Stewart Warner and the guy I talked to said that the Ford sensor will work with their tach. He said that any kind of magnetic pickup sensor will work with it and the sensor in the link should work as a replacement for the stock Ford sensor if its the same thread. Heres a few pics of the truck enjoy. As for why I want the 7.3 its all there got the whole truck its in for 800 bucks and I wont have to worry about head studs, swappin stuff over etc. The 6.9 also burns quite a bit of oil and is extremely loud in the cab sounds like an amplified idle rattle that never stops until you put your foot in it.
You must be registered for see images attach

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welcome to oilburners! the down pipe on the ATS turbo may have a clearance problem on that year / boby style ford truck. the cab noise will still be as bad with either engine, those early trucks have no sound deading in them at al, they are nice, simple trucks though.

71IDI4x4

Reaction score
I was plannin on takin some of the insulation out of the 93 and cuttin it to fit the 71 where I could. Got two days off from work next week so Ill do it all then. Power brakes will also be added sometime I have a 72 that im usin for parts that has a booster. Tryin to stop a 7000 pound truck without power or disc brakes aint exactly easy. The wiring has alot to be desired in this truck so ill try and clean some of that up as well

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Sharp looking truck, i always loved the bump sides.

As for not having to worry about head studs on 7.3, you are mistaken. The 7.3 have ALMOST as much problems as the 6.9s. But they also have issues with cavitation where as the 6.9s do NOT .

I would pull the turbo from the 7.3, stud the 6.9 and put the turbo in it. then sell the 7.3 to recover your money on the studs.