new guy from va

mopwrd340

Reaction score
I just traded for a 85 f 250 ec 6.9 / c6 4wd and it runs pretty good dosent smoke at all and drives down the road good.it has had a replacement motor put in it pretty recently and hasnt used any oil yet . the fuel sending units are brand new on this truck and neither of them work right the rear tank gets stuck at half the front worked the first day i filled it went to use truck next day was on e . where should i start looking also i have a few other questions. i repaired the a/c and it seems like the blower dosent blow to hard common?

also how do these trucks do in the mud do they sink or swin i have already had my son ask me to pull him out. i was worried there wouldnt be nothing to pull me out thanks ronny.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ronny, WELCOME TO OB! Sounds like you have a nice truck. The sending units are a common issue. Do a search on them and you'll find several threads discussing retro fitting other units to our IDI's. The Factory Ford units are getting hard to find and are not cheap.

Did they replace the 6.9 with another 6.9 or a 7.3 IDI? If a 7.3, be sure to treat the coolant with DCA/SCA.

Mud, well, they do pretty well. Several guys wheel in their IDI's. There is a member from South America (can't remember his user name) that does some very impressive mud wheeling in the rain forest down there.

Heath

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Heath is thinking of redstang410.
Turbo that truck and add overdrive, you'll love it.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Heath is thinking of redstang410.
Turbo that truck and add overdrive, you'll love it.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i repaired the a/c and it seems like the blower dosent blow to hard common?
I've seen 2 of them in the past and my current truck has the same issue; no high speed on the blower motor. When you switch it to high speed, the blower motor just stays at the previous speed.
A new blower motor was the cure on the last 2.

mopwrd340

Reaction score
thanks for all the welcomes and ideas i will leave the truck the way it is runs to good to mess with it i dont go far with it so it should be all right. ibelieve it is still a 6.9 that was put in also has a new radiator w/p and clutch fan the a/f is new ill get the charge stuff to put in it .it has no thermostat in it now and i usauly run extended life a/f bad idea or not .the boy that had it tried running up and down 95 with it and i imagined the temp gauge would climb on it and it scared him . i have always liked these old work horses the company i worked for always had them as service trucks so iknw these trucks some what .

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Welcome to the site... The crappy blowing could be something as easy as a clogged evaporator core. That's as easy as pulling apart the heater box and spraying the cores out good with a garden hose. How about some pics? We're suckers for pics. And these trucks do fine off-road/in the mud.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. On top of the block just to the drivers side of the injection pump is a flat place with the block serial numbers. If its a 6.9 it will say...6.9 first. Of if its a 7.3 thats what it will say. Also the 6.9 head bolt hex is 7/16 where the 7.3 is 1/2 inch hex. Now about running without a thermostat... Thats a bad thing. We need a factory only thermostat because these blocks have a bypass in them just under the copper pill on the stat. When its closed the flow goes thru that hole in the block back to the waterpump. No stat and no flow going theu the radiator like it should. The factory stats are the only ones that work correctl. Some members have had some luck with aftermarket but the jury is still looking at the evidense on that one. The rest of us wont risk it. The factory units open at 192 degrees and they are fully open at 212 degrees. You need to remove the alternater, vacuum pump and the filter bracket. Its a good idea to remove the battery terminals on either + or - posts. The 2000 amps behind the alternater is just looking for a ground to give you a sparks show. Its enough amps from both batteries to melt a ring to your finger or the end off a wrench back there...

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Just to clarify, the head bolts are 12 point. But like Gary said....7/16 headbolts for the 6.9 and 1/2 headbolts for the 7.3...both of which take 12 point sockets.

mopwrd340

Reaction score
i will start working on this small stuff tommorow i will pull the blower tommorow and clean it out noticed thats the stink ive been smelling coming from there . the thermostat i will do soon i usually buy failsafe thermo stats any way. i will hopefully remember to take pics tommorow the truck dosent look like it lived to hard a life rusty over the wheel wells thats it for rust . interior decent carpet is like new in it and why did ford give it so many trim levels its a xlt lariat explorer .

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Ronny, welcome to the OB!

Of no particular help to you, your truck may be a local. Ford assembled some of them in Norfolk.