New fuel tank or (s) needed

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Took off the bed today via backhoe, too look at both tanks because they are both leaking. Im doing one at a time, so only the front is out. I heard that bronco tanks will work, but what i cant find out through searching is this...is there a bronco tank that you can buy that will work with out modding the sender assembly? I can work with splicing the wires so that the connector will work, but i dont want to be putting extra components on the sender. Also i know that the bronco tanks are for the rear replacement, and i would run one bronco in the rear and perhaps fix my front.

jclark23

Reaction score
I have a brand new plastic bronco tank sitting in the shop if you need one, also have the stock rear one.

Jason

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I have the bronco tank in the rear of my 87. I used the stock bronco tank mounts and modded them to bolt to the stock cc mounts. as for the sender, I just plugged it in. If i remember correctly my front sender is out of something other than this truck. I remember neither sender working and now they both do.

food for thought

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
the last few days have been dumped into cleaning and scrubbing both tanks clean. The front had 2 pin holes in it, one was under the rear strap on the top, and the other was on the passanger side of the tank. Only one hole in the rear top of the rear tank, but it was pretty big. It was more like a crack. Both were wire wheeled clean and i used brake cleaner to get the remaining fuel out of the way before epoxy went on.

My dad had good luck with epoxy to fix the leaks on his '78 a long time ago and the fix lasted for about 4 years.

And for added rust prevention, all areas of both tanks under the straps got a coat of wheel bearing grease, and the tanks themselves got a coat of ATF. Oh yeah and so did the frame. Should be good now.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PUNKMECHANIC - Interesting info on the Bronco Tank. Did you use the Diesel Sender in the Bronco tank or the Bronco pickup and sender for diesel. I need to drop my rear tank eventually to replace the pick-up as it runs out at 1/4 tank. The Stock tBronco tank was a 25g with a 33 as an option I believe. I have a 33 gallon tank in my 79 Bronc' and that extra capacity in my CrewCab would mean about 200 miles more to my range. Jeff's Bronco Graveyard sells the 33g steel tank for $100 and a 33G Plastic "USA Made" for $139. I'll find someplace else for that Spare Tire for another 3 hours between fuel stops.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online