New Fuel Filter = roll coal???

Julianq7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my buddies has a 92 7.3 idi. yesterday he was telling me how he turned up the injection pump all the way basically maxed it out. He the told me it did not do anything different to the truck. I was questioning if he did it right or maybe it was a worn pump. then he told me he replaced his fuel/water filter. he said after that his truck at idle basically shot out soot. He said it is ridiculous how much coal comes out of that truck plus the improved power. maybe there was a clog I the fuel filter???

I just dont understand how that happened ???????

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
His fuel filter was probably clogged to the point that it was restricting flow to IP. This does happen.
Turning up the IP to blow a bunch of smoke is not cool, not to mention he will probably ruin his engine in a short amount of time. These engines will easily hit 1100 degrees at WOT on a stock injection pump. That's all these engines will take without melting a piston or cracking cylinder heads.
And no, it will not increase power. Adding a turbo does that and requires you to turn up injection pump.

Julianq7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hes got a pyrometer and tows a trailer to alabama and back and says he stays at about 1100. I was just wondering how common the fuel filter gets clogged. ive only had my truck for 5000 miles and dont know when the last time the PO changed the filter. Maybe changing this will give my truck better fuel flow to the IP.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
i SUSPECT SOMETHING QUESTIONABLE IN THE ORIGINAL POSTERS COMMENTS. oUR TRUCKS HAVE A FILTER LIGHT. iT WILL PREFORM A SELF CHECK EVERYTIME YOU TURN ON THE IGNITION BY LIGHTING UP FOR A FEW SECONDS. iT DOES THIS TELLING YOU THE BULB IS NOT BURNED OUT.gLAD TO LEARN THIS RIG HAS A PYRO AND HOPE ITS ACCURATE. TURNING UP THE FUEL TILL IT ROLLS COAL AND SHOOTS SOOT IS NOT SAFE NO MATTER WHAT THIS PYRO IS TELLING YOU. wHAT PYRO IS THIS AND WHERE WAS IT INSTALLED

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cut open my filter with 20000 miles on it. Was perfecty clean

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I was just wondering how common the fuel filter gets clogged. ive only had my truck for 5000 miles and dont know when the last time the PO changed the filter..

Could be as soon as you fill the tank, could be weeks, months, years, etc.
All depends on the quality of fuel you get.

I always go through and change all filters and fluids when buying a vehicle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The life of the fuel filter entirely depends on contaminates. One batch of crud and you could plug it nearly instantly. If all you have is clean fuel, it could go years.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Truth be said. Filters last for longer periods if your fuel supply is filtered before it ends up in your tanks. Out here on any fuel pump in any station the diesel is filtered BEFORE it ends up in our tanks.but please look at the filter condition. I have seen some really old filters that have not been changed in a long time.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truth be said. Filters last for longer periods if your fuel supply is filtered before it ends up in your tanks. Out here on any fuel pump in any station the diesel is filtered BEFORE it ends up in our tanks.but please look at the filter condition. I have seen some really old filters that have not been changed in a long time.
the more crap in the filter the better it filters. We have all been at a station with a slow pump. Atleast we are getting clean fuel!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online