New From Arizona!

cllake

Reaction score
Hello all!

My name is Cody and Im from Goodyear, Az.

Im about to pick up a 96 f250 7.3/auto, it already has the D60 conversion!:love:

I am by no means a mechanic but I know my way around a gas motor.. LOL! Whole new ball game here. What should I be looking for when checking out the truck?(Mechanical Wise) Of course the obvious, idle, smooth shifts, frame cracks/damage, etc. What specifically should I be checking for?

Thanks!

-Cody

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's about it. But look down in the valley pan for oil towards the rear. IPR, ICP all these sensor's can leak along with the HPOP and Fuel drain valve. Ask if the SCA's have been kept up in the coolant. If they don't know what that is, then probably not. If it's from a dealer they wouldn't know. Depending on the mileage, might be best to just change the coolant, drain and flush, then replace coolant with the SCA already add to it. SCA= Supplemental Coolant Additive, prevents cavitation, eating away of the cylinder wall's.

Here is some good info below.

http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/maint.php
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-05-10.php
http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/maint/ecsd/cmp.php3
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/publi...49873DITDirectInjectionTurbochargedDiesel.pdf

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Oldbull nailed it pretty good. You will find that working on a diesel is actually easier because you don't have to worry about if you are getting spark.

cllake

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. Ill be on my way out to Ca tomorrow to take a look at it!

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
See if you can start it cold & look for blue smoke on start up. A little white smoke is ok as long as it clears up pretty quick. You don't wanna see blue smoke......

cllake

Reaction score
Well......

Just got home with my new(to me) truck! This is a beast and runs strong!

Only problem that needs immediate attention is the fact that the blinkers do not blink, they just come on. Should I be looking into the relay? Also needs some tires:rolleyes:

I will get come pictures up tomorrow

Cody

cllake

Reaction score
Here she is!

I already got some new tires :sly

Both windows have wear from being rolled up/down, is the only way to fix this with a new window?

Where can I get a good set of fog lights?

Can anyone tell what leafs are on the front? F350?

Attachments

• 322.jpg
    322.jpg
    645.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 323.jpg
    323.jpg
    736.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 324.jpg
    324.jpg
    763.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 326.jpg
    326.jpg
    799.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 327.jpg
    327.jpg
    585.4 KB · Views: 7

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I don't think they are stock but I'm not sure. I see at least 4 springs in those spring packs. My stock springs on my 350 are 2 maybe 3 at the most. They look aftermarket to me. Nice truck tho. Use it well.;Sweet

cllake

Reaction score
Thanks guys. They ride pretty decent!

Failed emissions today..... Damn truck has a CA emissions sticker on the valve cover so the mvd is require me to get a CAT!! Where can I get a one?

I got the blinkers working though, it was the relay behind the fuse panel. Also, pulled off ALL of the damn stickers from the PO.

Damn it feels good owning a OBS PSD!

cllake

Reaction score
Just placed my order over at Stealth for a TW 6 position chip, along with a 3 pod set of Glowshift gauges. :love:

The beast is going in the shop tomorrow for an oil change and trans service.;Sweet

-Cody