New dodge...questions?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2500cummins said:
I would buy whatever truck you are the most comfortable with, You cant go wrong with any brand right now.
Thanks for the info...I told Dodge, Ford, Chevy... "I'm no longer being loyal to ANY one manufacture period, for me it's about the price, the cheapest wins".
I've had Ford Truck since the 80's(great truck). Ford said they will order what ever I want for thier invoice. But it's still much more than the Dodge...now with what GM is going through they very well may start to low-ball their vehicles. Dodge knows this and seem's to want me in their show room w/check asap.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
deezlwex said:
Ray, if you want, I'll drive on over and let you drive mine - one drive will convince you YES! (Oh, I hope Mel doesn't see this! :rolleyes: )

Scott
Thanks for the offer ;Sweet , I may take you up on this as I haven't driven in a 6.0 or anything latter than my neighbors 2500 1999 super cab. Nice truck but the diesel engine noise and bumpy ride would make me nutzzzzz!!!

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
deezlwex said:
Ray, my dually rides like a limo. I had a '97 2500 V10, now THAT truck road rough.
Thats what I like to hear...any real world feedback on mpg... auto or stick?

deezlwex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ray - my mileage, with the TSB, on winter fuel, is about 12 mpg, on my 11-mile stop and stop ( and I mean, stop and stop!) commute from West Chester to Devon, where I work. Bear in mind this is an 8000 lb truck, automatic, 4:10 gears. I had the TSB just about when we switched to winter fuel, so I'm expecting probably around mid 13s-14 when we go back to straight #2. FWIW, my 2001 F350 PSD, 6-speed, SRW, 3:73 gears got mid 14s under these same conditions. This Dodge is a dually, weighs more, and makes 50 mor hp, and 75 more ft-lbs. I ain't complainin'!

Highway mileage is REALLY dependent on speed. Cruising at 75, I might get 15. Drop that to 55, and I can get in the 17s. But who drives 55? LOL :D

Scott

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HammerDown said:
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a fully loaded...
05 2500
quad cab
4x4
6' bed
W/Diesel.
The price I was given is $32,800.00

Seem like a good price?

With 3.55 rear and auto, trans 20" wheels...any idea on real world mileage?
Better mileage VS Power Stroke or Duramax?
Do these trucks have a comfortable/quiet ride? (my neighbors 99 2500 rides like a bunk board :idiot:
Thanks for any feedback.
PS. any reasons why I should wait for the 06's...?

Was that price for an ST or SLT?

Why is it that us IDI folks are all looking at Dodge trucks to replace our tried and true Ford IDIs instead of GM or Ford? Weird... Must be something about liking the older setup and believing that our old trucks and the new Cummins are somehow nicer than the new IH or Duramax.

I looked at a Ram 3500 dually a couple months ago but couldn't stomach 6 years of new truck payments--I'm just getting my last new vehicle paid for and want a few years with NO vehicle payments. Will likely be crossing over to Dodge in 2008... hope they'll offer a true crewcab in the 3500 models. The crewcab available soon is only for a 2500, and they've sawed the bed off short to make room for the extra cab room. Not a good deal--I want a true longbed with a true crewcab.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Dodge is sure trying to sell their trucks cheap and they phone you at home trying to get your business thats what I call desparation :rolleyes:

I know guys that are paying for Ford fully loaded dually 4x4 P/Us in the 60,000 dollar range cookoo

For myself personally if the truck doesn't make money I'am not going to pay 600 dollars a month for a new truck. Most of the time once you paid for the new truck its starting to cost money in repairs so you never win. The newer trucks are not designed to last and now they are so complicated with electronic controls that crap starts failing it costs you a fortune to fix. Most of the time the dealer doesn't know how to fix it because they don't have enough experience with it.

The enviromentalist complain about polution and crap I have a feeling there will be more scrap vehicals out there that are unrepairable because nobody knows how to diagnose and repair them. Its probably a good thing the scrap metal market is high the scrap yards are getting rid of the old derilict vehicals to make room for the 90% plastic unrepairable vehicals.

A friend of mine bought a new Dodge 1500 Hemi power for some reason he got mad at his truck and punched the fender and put a big dent into it :rolleyes:

Good god do manufactures make the sheet metal any thinner you try do that with my old 89 you would break your knuckles. I know the last company I worked for just bought a 2001 F-550 and I was surprised how thin the sheet metal was. You slam the door and the panel kept shaking :confused:

Anyhow enough ranting :Sly

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pacific said:
Dodge is sure trying to sell their trucks cheap and they phone you at home trying to get your business thats what I call desparation :rolleyes:

I know guys that are paying for Ford fully loaded dually 4x4 P/Us in the 60,000 dollar range cookoo

For myself personally if the truck doesn't make money I'am not going to pay 600 dollars a month for a new truck. Most of the time once you paid for the new truck its starting to cost money in repairs so you never win. The newer trucks are not designed to last and now they are so complicated with electronic controls that crap starts failing it costs you a fortune to fix. Most of the time the dealer doesn't know how to fix it because they don't have enough experience with it.

The enviromentalist complain about polution and crap I have a feeling there will be more scrap vehicals out there that are unrepairable because nobody knows how to diagnose and repair them. Its probably a good thing the scrap metal market is high the scrap yards are getting rid of the old derilict vehicals to make room for the 90% plastic unrepairable vehicals.

A friend of mine bought a new Dodge 1500 Hemi power for some reason he got mad at his truck and punched the fender and put a big dent into it :rolleyes:

Good god do manufactures make the sheet metal any thinner you try do that with my old 89 you would break your knuckles. I know the last company I worked for just bought a 2001 F-550 and I was surprised how thin the sheet metal was. You slam the door and the panel kept shaking :confused:

Anyhow enough ranting :Sly

This is precisely why I will not buy a new truck until I simply cannot drive the old one.

My objective has become to keep my IDI on the road until hydrogen powered pickups are available and affordable. My guess is that diesel will soon become prohibitively expensive. I don't want to have a 40,000+ pickup truck that I cannot sell, yet still owe large payments on when the poopie hits the fan.

Unfortunately, the Big 3 can't price a truck so that it is affordable, and fossil fuel power is on its way out. In 2010, one source I checked with says they will have hydrogen-power technology available and priced for consumer purchase. Now we just have to see if infrastructure will support hydrogen power (hydrogen stations to buy fuel) and if auto makers will pick it up.

Sad to say, I think hydrogen is the only fuel choice we will have. Hybrids will not be powerful enough to pull 10,000 pounds, plus 7,000 pounds of truck, up a hill.

The hydrogen engines under development are currently at were something like 300 hp and 750 ft-lbs and were being run in prototype form in buses. I'll look for the link, which I can't seem to find right now...

Last edited:

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HammerDown said:
Thanks for the info...I told Dodge, Ford, Chevy... "I'm no longer being loyal to ANY one manufacture period, for me it's about the price, the cheapest wins".
I've had Ford Truck since the 80's(great truck). Ford said they will order what ever I want for thier invoice. But it's still much more than the Dodge...now with what GM is going through they very well may start to low-ball their vehicles. Dodge knows this and seem's to want me in their show room w/check asap.

My experience when checking with Dodge about 3 months ago was that they were right at invoice on an ST. They were a little above for an SLT. That was with no haggling.

Local dealer in Monterey was significantly higher than my dealer at home in Texas.

Ford and Chevy... forget it. The local Ford dealer thinks I'm willing to pay 3% above invoice for a new F-350. cookoo

Chevy... well, they don't like to deal either.

Bottom line, though, is that I've other obligations (young, growing family, and prime childbearing years for the wife :love: :thumbsup: ) that are more important than buying a new truck that (I'm afraid) will become too expensive to operate in a few short years. Comfortable retirement in 30 years VS new truck payments... hmmm... Not such a hard decision.

Last edited:

scrappy

Reaction score
3rd. gen

the third gens ride alot better than the previous trucks. Are the 20" wheels factory(I thought you could only get 17"s) it is somewhat difficult to get tires in the 17' size, just imagine what 20's are like to find! These trucks are very bombable, parts are readily available just about anywhere.