new 97 cummins :)

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I just bought... or am going to buy a 97 cummins. Has 250k on it. Decent shape. 3500$
Its an auto. I want to know how hard it would be to change it to manual?? thanks for the info in advance

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you think its a good deal. 97 cummins ext cab auto 4x4?? $4000 or so maybe $3500?
250 k on motor. some rust.

CGBear

Reaction score
A good deal??! Do you really have to ask?? 4000 or maybe 3500?? Give me the guys number and I'll check it out for you....LOL! Buy it before someone else does!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Depends upon the shape of the body since you want to as soon as you get it home to rip out the auto trans for a manual trans. But as a stand alone if the body is in decent shape then it's worth it - no big rust holes or huge dents - interior not ripped up / trashed (except for the common drivers seat rip).

You can sell the trans to recoup some of your money but I doubt it will cover the entire cost of the manual trans (nv4500 or nv5600). Both of these trans are pretty desirable so keep that in mind.

A good clutch will run you a grand - as stock one can be had for less but you will have buy the flywheel no matter what. that is why I say if the body is worth it because you are getting ready to dump some money into her and it might be better in the long run to just find a higher priced truck that already has the manual. but if you want to take it on as a project and like that kind of thing - then by all means you have stumbled upon a good deal.

If you go with an nv4500 I would before I even put it in upgrade the main shaft and replace the 5th gear - because you WILL have problems with these down the road and it will require you to pull the trans back out to repair - no it doesn't take long to drop one and the good thing about the nv4500 is you can rebuild one with simple hand tools - nothing special just a good set of snap ring pliers and you're good to go...

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the front suspension and steering components are notoriously prone to failure. There are permanent fixes for the ball joints that fail, but they are somewhat pricey.

Personally, the cost and aggravation and cost of swapping a manual in to replace the auto isn't worth it. You're going to put several thousand into a truck that is only worth what you're already paying or maybe slightly more. I'd save my money and buy what I really want.

billdoodle

Reaction score
EVERYONE WANTS A STANDARD IN THEIR CUMMINS TRUCKS???? MY 97 IS A BUILT UP AUTO TRANNY AND A PULLING BEAST. HAD THE TRANNY BUILT 5 YRS. AGO AND HAVE HAD ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS AND I PULL HEAVY THROUGH SOME PRETTY ROUGH COUNTRY. IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT THE CUMMINS WAS DESIGNED TO RUN WITH A TORQUE CONVERTER ( CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG ) BUT I READ THAT IN AN ARTICLE ON SOME CUMMINS FORUM. TOO MANY PEOPLE WORRY ABOUT THE AUTOS BUT IF THEY ARE REBUILT HEAVIER LIKE MINE I CAN SEE NO PROBLEM. BUT IF SOMEONE WANTS A STANDARD FOR OTHER REASONS THAN THAT'S A HORSE OF A DIFFERENT COLOR. JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I like a standard more than an auto and i like a transmission that doesnt need to be touched. Is your cap lock stuck on or something?

-Jordan-

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
sounds like a good price i'd keep auto the 47re is a good tranny just needs some upgrades
to much of a hassle to swap out imo