needs some advice

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm working on a friends 02 Cummins 24v and have been told he wants it to have a loping idle. Basically he wants it to sound like an engine with a large cam in it. It has twin turbos by Poole, head work by Poole, Mach 6 injectors, Blue chip special x pump, FASS fuel system and an edge juice with attitude. There is more but I'm trying to condense any advice is greatly appreciated.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I know they have different grind cams for them - I don't know if they will give the sound that he wants.

Batman

Reaction score
I'm definately NOT the most knowledgable here..........However, the only time I've heard a Cummins sound like that was when it had the wrong 'tune' to it.
It was my truck, and Cummins re-flashed the ECM with an incorrect version software. Loped like mad, being an automatic at the time, it would stall as I put it in gear.

Have you tried asking Olee Poole? He is very knowledgable.
good luck
g

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Olee Poole is a crook as far as I'm concerned. His shop is the one who did the work to this engine initially and to start with they never o-ringed the head like they was supposed to. All they did is Fire-ring it which won't hold as much boost. The head studs were under torqued by 30 ft.lbs. The smaller turbo had a leak at the elbow to the larger turbo which they told the guy was to build boost faster. I had to do so much corrective work on the engine it was sickening. The trucks owner told me that until he had met me and saw how the truck reacted after it was put together sans truly o-ringing the head(We're looking for another 24v head to have machined so I can just swap the head and gasket out for the o-ring setup). Before I worked on the engine it only made about 400 horse at the wheel. After I redid the head it jumped to about 455hp. We then added the Blue Chip vp44 which brought it up to just over 500hp. I researched the Industrial Injection VP44 and Blue Chip VP44 and a few others extensively before we ordered the new one. We went with the Blue Chip unit because of dozens of people how much they liked the pump. Another reason for the Blue Chip unit was the heavy duty computer he uses on his pumps. Chip was extremely helpful and because of his wonderful work and deep insight has become my pump builder of choice for VP44. I just wish he did DB1 and DB2 work as he would be building the one for my F350.