Need turbo install help

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I finally got around to starting my turbo install and i hit a hitch...

Updated OP:

Having trouble putting the downpipe in. Whats the trick to get it in place?

Edit 2: This is a first gen Banks system. The one with the big rectangular air box....

Last edited:

suv7734

Reaction score
I finally got around to starting my turbo install and i hit a hitch... I can't find the plug i'm supposed to tap into for the oil feed. On the attached pic, i pulled the only plug "to the rear and above the filter" (per banks install manual) and was greeted with coolant (in the face...). I think it was a 1/4" NPT plug anyway. The only 1/8" NPT plug i found was to the left of the filter and above (barely visible past the filter), but i dont think i could get my elbow to turn past the oil cooler....

Side note: In my search for a drain tube grommet i think i found something near perfect. Its a PCV grommet (Help! Part# 42323). It fits right into the CDR grommet already in place and once i put the drain tube in the grommet it was a very snug fit. Time will tell if it takes the heat.... :)

The correct plug for the oil line is 1/8" NPT. The one you pulled is further forward. In the pic behind the exhaust is the one you want. The one you pulled is in front of the exhaust in the pic. Once you get the plug out connect the line to the elbow and then put the other end of the line into a bucket and crank the engine to blow out any crap that may have accumulated in that passage before you connect to the turbo.

Attachments

• oilport.JPG
    oilport.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 10

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to clean that passage before hooking anything toit, just flushing WILL NOT get it clean enough. Use brakleen and some kind of brush or pipe cleaners.

wmoguy

Reaction score
You need to clean that passage before hooking anything toit, just flushing WILL NOT get it clean enough. Use brakleen and some kind of brush or pipe cleaners.

listen to this one carefully. trust me on that. LOL

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Nevermind....got it...

It runs now! :D

You can't hear the turbo unless its running over 2k though...and its only got 3' of pipe on it....:(

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
No mufflers Seth. Only the first section of downpipe is on it. about 18" of pipe... :D

Drove it today.... It don't take much to get some noise out of the turbo, and once it's wound up a little it really whines.... I look like :D....

Can't wait to get it to work and mount the stacks! Also got a cheap boost gauge to mount. It's a 20psi gauge so hopefull it will be easy to read. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online