Need to start truck, item broken in tumbler

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
This is for my 93 but it will apply to the OBS's. I wont go into detail (see my thread in the refinery) but i need to start my 93 but i cant because something is broken off in the tiumber and i cant get it out. Its an automatic with a 300.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember the last time I was into an OBS column. But IIRC, it's not actually that tough to pull the cover, then remove the lock tumbler assembly, then simply actuate the switch by hand. You may need a security torx to remove the tumbler assembly tho.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Thank you

So no one else has any other ideas? Nothing? Seems with all the post happy people there would be more responses. Guess im not popular enough.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have been in the colum but not for what you have to do. I question why the key broke off in the opening. And why can't it just stay there and still start the rig. I think all you do is remove the wheel and turn signal switch. then one screw andtab. Then back the key part and everything just backs up and out. I once was told there is a small hole under the part the key fits into that needs something like a paper clip pushed into it and then it all turns out. Sorry but I'm not up on this stuff. Going to any wrecking yard will give you plenty of training of any ford car, van or truck so you learn on their stuff.. Saves the mistakes.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OBS columns are not bad to work on, but as Far as I know, the tumbler has to turn to remove it. There is a small ball bearing in a hole underneath the tumbler. It is easier to see if you take the column cover off. You have to press that bearing up towards the tumbler as you turn the key to the ON position, them the tumbler will pull right out. Now, if the tumbler will not turn, I don't know what you can do to get it out. Maybe go grand theft and try to break the tumbler out? No, even as I said it , it sounds like a really bad idea. I looked for the other thread with details, but couldn't seem to find it. What exactly is broken off in it, and will it turn at all?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only speak for a 1985 column/switch.

The switch/tumbler MUST have the correct key in it and turned to RUN, then a slender probe pokes in a hole to release the tumbler, which will then slide right out.

Were I in your situation, I would pull the steering-wheel and permanently dis-able the spring-loaded column-locking pin.

Then I would eliminate the factory key-switch by re-routing all the functions to big toggle-switches.

On my personal truck, instead of dreading the inevitable day when the pot-metal ignition-actuator breaks off in the column in a most inopportune place and time, I did just as I suggested.

I have read of your situation in a number of threads on various sites and most turn into a column-destructing time-consuming nightmare that ends up with the victim seeking out a replacement column.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone tried to steal my truck, broke part of my leatherman off (twisted and broke off flush). So i cant do **** with it.

K, just an idea...take a hack saw blade, and make a shaved down harpoon like device or...use a jigsaw blade etc see photo and try to pull the unit out that way...just saying this can/does work...

You must be registered for see images

Check out this site for ideas...it's where that image came from
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/moonshadow/New_Folder/stuck_and_broken_key_extraction.htm

I've used a harpoon before and withdrawn broken key parts...so not sure if this will work in your case.

JM2CW

Al

BTW....Having a set of lock picks from Mac Tools...is super handy...you DON"T need keys to remove these ign cyl...just get it turned to on position, which with the pics...it's a cake walk.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Talked to my friend last night and he said i can have his extra steering column sans tumbler if i needed so that saves me a trip to the junkyard and some money.

Riot, that harpoon would be great but there is no way to gain access to put anything like that. That used the large flat blade screwdriver portion of my leatherman and when it broke off it twisted itself in such a way that nothing can be inserted (believe me i tried lol). Not even a pick could be inserted.

Midnight, if this was my diesel i would but its my baby and i dont want switches and such all over. All im going to do is install a descrete switch for disabling the vehicle when i park it for extended periods of time.

Only thing that sucks, i can really work on it as its on the street and its very busy during the day so i might just locate the igintion switch and start it that way till i can move it into my yard or my friends garage. Plus its supposed to rain next week almost everyday...

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the spits. I do not know why some people have the desire to steal someone else's stuff they worked hard for. I hope you get your issue resolved soon. I apologize that I cannot be more helpful. I am not too familiar with all that steering column equipment.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done this on several of these trucks, various years, with success. Get behind the chrome part with a chisel or screwdriver, and smack it with a hammer. A couple of wacks and the chrome piece will break off. That will then give you access to the keeper up inside which you can then press and remove the assembly. Seems to not harm anything after this procedure and some of the manuals actually describe this way of doing it when you do not have a key.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try a welding rod? Tack it to the broke off part and pull.

That may just work.

If you do try it, be certain to shield EVERYTHING from weld spatter, especially all glass and plastic.

I know a guy who welded a shifter in his cab many years ago; his windshield and instrument-panel still bear the scars.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
The whole tumbler is sacrificial at this point. Drill the snot out of it until you get it to turn to the run position. then you can push the keeper on the underside of the coulmn and remove the whole tumbler.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin