Need To Install Rear Brakes

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yesterday I heard my brakes go thru and start grinding. I did everything possible to figure out what side it was. Felt it was the drivers side front but could be the passenger side. Now with one hand and arm I wondered if I could do this work by myself. bought the pads and pins and driving home I felt I could roll down both front windows and shut down the engine and figure out what side was bad.....:mad: Well it turns out its the rear drivers side that has gone into the rivets.. Now remember I have only one arm and hand to work with. I realize those rear brake shoes have the "special" spring that keeps the shoe to the backing plate. My question is do you guys think I can get that spring off and on with one hand. I don't want to open this up and find out I can't finish the work and have to reassemble it. I'm not driving much at all these days and can wait till I have more use from my hand and arm. BTW the left arm is the side I do everything with so my right is useable but not the most useful either. I really had not thought this surgery thru that well but felt I had "fixed" everything around the house and could get thru this down time.. funny how fate reminds you we are not in control..

Gigihurt

Reaction score
Ive always needed two hands on normal drum brakes. The heavy duty stuff like we have will surely require more than one hand.

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May need 2 hands here in the salty wisconsin I tried to inspect my rear brakes and gave up when I couldn't pound the drums off.. never hit it with the big torch just a little propane.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Gary,

If it will make it up here, I will be at the shop tomorrow and can lend a hand or two. I cheated last year and had my neighbor do all 4 wheels, the brakes work wonderful. Should be able to get the drums turned if necessary, too.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NOPE this aint no one handed gong show we got here at OB...

Get yer Back side to Canada and I'll do em for ya in -15 weather outside and smile the whole time!

Seriously Gary you gotta know it's two hands minimum...especially when it's yer NOT yer usual preferred hand!

gandalf

Reaction score
I wouldn't even consider doing that job with only one usable hand. Personally, I have a hard enough time of it working with two serviceable hands. I'd suggest that you either wait for your hands to heal, or have the job done by somebody else.

What shoes did you get? I have some rear shoes waiting to go on when the urge strikes. I have Wagner ANA 583R. Remember, I have the big camper on the truck all the time. My brakes need all the help, all the advantage, they can get.;Sweet

Al is right. This is definitely a two ********. Now you may be good, and you may be able to do some things with only one hand, even your off-side hand;Really, but this isn't some piddly little thing you're thinking about. Best to wait.

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I beat for 45 mins to get a front rotor off my half ton the other night. I've never had a drum come off easy let alone do the brakes too. Either wait or cash in a favor. A lot of us would do it for ya if it weren't for the plane ride. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk