Need timing help please?

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the Kent Moore meter I'm getting a reading of 0.7 at 2000-2010 rpms.
Where do I go from here? I understand on the advancing and retarding:dunno the IP and my goal is to get it to 8.5 btdc give or take just a little but I'm kinda lost with the 0.7 read out. I wasn't expecting that. Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
All my connection points are bare metal clean on the hard fuel line and the ground clamp and the magnetic pickup tube I have cleaned out 5 times now just to be sure it was good. Is this reading an even possible readout for the timing? I mean .07 I dont know if that right? I'm just trying to get a base line readout so come tomorrow afternoon I can start adjusting the IP to get it where I want it.
As we speak the truck runs and starts great and has since I have had the IP installed 40k miles ago and as far as I know its static timed since I didn't do the IP install.

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just timed mine last night. Make sure that your clamps (assuming your using the pulse method) are secure. Injector line clamp on the injector line closest to the fuel filter housing, sand down the line all the way around and secure the clamp. Ground connecter on the injector line clamp can be secured on a good ground (i used bare spot on the injector line). Doesn't need to be super tight. Make sure meter is plugged up and the tap settings are set to clamp on pick up and magnetic probe. Make sure offset is set to -20.00 when turning the meter on. Connect the mag probe to the cleaned port on the damper wheel and space with 3 business cards between port and actual damper. Make sure wires are clear of the moving belts/ gears. Truck should already be warmed up to operating temperature FYI. Press the bottom right side of the "Push and hold to set key. Meter should show all zero's. Start truck. Meter in my experience will not really provide a reading until you hit about 1600-1700 RPM's. Bring the RMP's up to 2000 and you should have a reading of x.x. Mine started at 8.3. I adjusted to about 9.8. Hope this helps.

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and the red light above the keys will be blinking when the truck is running and everything is hooked up correctly.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and the red light above the keys will be blinking when the truck is running and everything is hooked up correctly.

Man I have done everything you listed above about 7 times and I get the same readout for my timing. I even tried cylinder #4 and same result so where do I go from here. The little red light up top on the operating panel I dont believe works but it zeros out and all switches are in there proper position thats pretty straightforward.
In reality will my truck even run like it does with a readout of .07 ? I'm fine with that as a base point but where the hell do I go from here? Does this mean its 7.8 degrees off?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.07 * ? you mean .7? didnt kow these meters had hundreths placement.
do you have the advance solenoid disconnected? or is the engine at operating temp?

i had mine running at -9.0*

You must be registered for see images attach

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.07 * ? you mean .7? didnt kow these meters had hundreths placement.
do you have the advance solenoid disconnected? or is the engine at operating temp?

i had mine running at -9.0*

You must be registered for see images attach
**** I got ahead of myself. You are correct. Its 0.7 readout. So what now. I was expecting like a 12.5 or in that area.
And no I did not disconnect the advance solenoid but yes the temp gauge read 210 on every attempt for a base line reading.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it means you're retarded, literally :D
now advance the IP 2 dimes width and check again.
DO NOT MOVE IP WHILE ENGINE IS RUNNING.

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At .7 I suppose it could just mean that you are not really advanced or retarded...firing at pretty much TDC?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was 2atdc when i got it.could not safely merge with it there

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was 2 teeth off on the IP gear, truck drove ok at this setting, but wasnt right... obviously

proof on how retarded i was/am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za5sKp04btg

Yeah im using that same exact Kent Moore meter. The zeros dont light up completely on the rpm read out. That threw me for me a curveball for a little bit until I knew better. Once again another **** moment.