Need spacers between the duals

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a set of 255 Coopers 2 weeks ago, and have been running them and loving them everyday since. Today, I got some landscaping rock, a decent load, and was unpleasantly surprised to see the tires touching sidewalls when it was loaded down. They are D rated, 3000 lbs each at 65 psi, I have 65 in them. I kinda figured they'd need spacers, but was hoping to get by.

Anyways, where can I find a good set of hub-centric spacers for this truck? Ones that will allow me to run my current wheels with the locating pins on them. Or will I need to grind/machine those pins off? And will a spacer hold up to hauling a 7-8000 lb camper a few times a year? I'm by no means maxing any of the tires or the truck out with what I do, but I will be working it.

One last thing, I'm planning to get a set of aluminum wheels off an 08-10 Chevy or GMC dually, the 17 inch ones that look like they are dished real deep, after I get the bodywork done. At that point, I plan on running a 265/70R17 E rated tire. Does anyone know the center bore for those? I would like to be able to use whatever spacers I get now with those also. Thanks very much in advance.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a pic of the tires. This was unloaded, with approximately 55 psi in them. As you can see, they are very close, and when loaded, they do touch each other.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Half-an-inch will make a world of difference.

Have someone with a plasma cutter to cut 1/2-inch plate, using one of your wheels as a template.

A machinist can accomplish it with a lathe, also.

Drill the spacers for the locater-pins.

Make sure your studs have enough length to accomodate the spacers.

The GM/Chevy wheels will not clear your Ford hubs.

Far better to stick with sixteens. ;Sweet

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on those tires, nice. Keep us posted, I too am looking in this direction. How tall are they? OR fill in the blank 255/__R16. 85's perhaps. They are advertised 33" tall if so.

Last edited:

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 17s are more expensive and like said wont fit over hubs plus iirc its also the metric bolt pattern on them so they would need a bigger hub hole and a different bolt pattern plus spacers to work too would be a pita
but what id do if i were you is go to a 19.5 direct bolt on after the spacers cause then itll have youre bolt pattern and work for youre truck youd get the bigger size you want with better wear and a higher load rating

if you do get spacers get a steel one the aluminum is weaker and will corrode very easy

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 17" wheels he mentioned are the 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern (at least the GM ones), but there may indeed be an issue with the center opening for the hub, which would require some machining...

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
huh sweet but still the hubs are diferent i know that the chevy is smaller and i think non hub centric

bajabomber87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steel spacers from a machinist will cost a lot more than you think though.

There are companies out there who make spacers that you need for a good amount cheaper, just search.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
What is the offset on your wheels?

Ford used a few different ones...

5.00"
5.15"
5.35"

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
huh sweet but still the hubs are diferent i know that the chevy is smaller and i think non hub centric

SRW, DRW, 1/2-, 3/4-, and 1-ton GM wheels have been hub-centric since way back in the 60s.

GM has always been too small of center-hole to clear a Ford or Dodge hub.

8-lug GM is, and always has been, standard 8-on-6-1/2 pattern.

What is the offset on your wheels?

Ford used a few different ones...

5.00"
5.15"
5.35"

What are you guys meaning by "offset" ??

Back-spacing is usually a forced standard, on account of clearing tie-rods, calipers, and such; if you mess with back-spacing, then interference issues begin.

Any extra wheel-width must then be outward, away from the truck. :)

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
17's are more plentiful as take-off tires around here, I can get them with approx 100 miles for $50 each all day at the tire stores. I know the center bore will need to be machined out, just like H2 wheels and so on. There is a machine shop a few towns away that does that type of machining on a regular basis, so I'm confident I can run them.

I had a local guy price me a set of custom made spacers, I about fell over. I've done some research, and a 265 tire requires a 1.5" spacer, and 285's require a 2" one. So I'm looking into something in that range.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&itu=UCI&otn=3&ps=6&clkid=8075252909789912858

I did find those on an Ebay search. Anyone know if those will fit? Thanks for the input so far.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on those tires, nice. Keep us posted, I too am looking in this direction. How tall are they? OR fill in the blank 255/__R16. 85's perhaps. They are advertised 33" tall if so.

They are 255/85R16, and measure 31 3/4 inches installed on the truck. The 235/85R16 I took off the truck measured 29 1/2 inches tall installed.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
What are you guys meaning by "offset" ??

Back-spacing is usually a forced standard, on account of clearing tie-rods, calipers, and such; if you mess with back-spacing, then interference issues begin.

Any extra wheel-width must then be outward, away from the truck. :)

Offset is how far the mounting surface is from the center of the wheel. Manufacturers and OEMs use offset. The aftermarket uses backspacing for the reasons you point out.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got a dually axle with 285/75's on it. Im not sure if there are any spaces but the tires are already touching.

The guy I bought the truck from used it to haul a 5th wheel all over the place and seemed to never have a problem.