Need some suggestions for my "new" truck

pigseye

Reaction score
Long boring story I'll make short.

bad news:
Bought a "lightweight" travel trailer that I thought we could tow with our minivan. Well it might have been legally possible but we would be at max capacity of van.

good news:
Got the OK to purchase a "new" truck to tow the trailer!
Bought a 94 turbo IDI, Extended cab, 158k. Runs great and looks good too.

Looking to do some upgrades and would like recommendation for the following:

• Tranny cooler - what kind? how big?
  • More gages - What should I measure? My thoughts were, actual coolant temp, tranny temp, and EGTs.
  • What kind of gages should I get?
  • Other suggestions for gages

Thanks
Pigseye

aaklingler

Reaction score
Get the biggest tranny cooler you can find, i think mine is about 10" x 24" x 1". The other gauge I would recommend is a boost gauge if you want more boost. Autometer and Isspro are good gauges and I believe there are a couple more.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new toys ;Sweet
For a tranny cooler, get the biggest one you can afford, the plate type are best. If you want to keep the extra heat out from the front of the radiator, you can get the remote type that you can mount underneath that have their own electric fans.

I recently put the Isspro gasuges in, very happy with them. Sounds like you're on the right track.

If you haven't already been given the lecture on SCA's ( supplemental coolant additives ) do a search in this section

----------Robert

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ISSPRO or Autometer Gauges
  • EGT
  • Boost
  • Tranny temp
  • Coolant temp
  • Oil Presure
These are the critcal vitals of the truck.

I'd put the Boost, EGT & tranny temp on a 3 gauge pillar mount and the coolant temp and oil pressure on a dash pod.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another vote for ISSPro. For the trans cooler, I recommend a B&M 70298, frame mounted back past the transmission crossmember on a fabricated bracket.

pigseye

Reaction score
You guys are great!

Yup, I'm on top of the SCAs. Unfortunately, the previous owner didn't add them at his last coolant change. My fingers are crossed.

I like the dash and pillar mount idea for the gages and using a remote cooler to keep the hot air out of the radiator is another great one.

Mel,
Could you please provide a photo or drawing showing your install location?

Any specific recommendations on gages? i.e. use part number xyz and here's a link. Although I've owned my 1990 F250 IDI lumber wagon for a year, I'm a total noob on the gages and coolers.

Thanks Again
Steve

jeffgordon24

91 f250 kingcab 4*4
Reaction score
can you ppl tell me the kind of SCA ' s you use and where you can get them what they run for $$$ can i add it in i just changed my rad and flushed it putr new coolant in last mth i will add it now thanks jeff

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll try to take some pictures tonight. It's been raining around here for the last couple of days, so it may be a challenge.

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
Here in WV i have not seen the sun shine since i left the Jimmy Cone IDI meet in MD on saturday, we really needed the rain. not quite Ark building time yet, but we have not been hit near as hard as Ohio and PA.

pigseye

Reaction score
Thanks Agnem, I'm very interested in seeing a pic of the install.

Any other suggestions for guages? There are so many options.

Thanks

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you ppl tell me the kind of SCA ' s you use and where you can get them what they run for $$$ can i add it in i just changed my rad and flushed it putr new coolant in last mth i will add it now thanks jeff

Your International dealer can supply you with SCA and test strips. Don't buy "extra" test strips, they have a very limited shelf life.

pigseye

Reaction score
Everything Mr. Roboto said and don't store any extra strips in the truck. Not only do they have a short shelf life, they are also sensitive to heat.

I generally purchase a 4 pack of strips and one bottle of DCA-4. I like to check my SCAs every few months so the strips get used up quickly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online