need some HONEST advice....

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gonna try not to turn this into a novel......
I have a 1985 F250 4wd 6.9,std cab. I traded my 1989 Chevy Suburban 2500 (2wd),454 TBI,th400 for this truck. I witnessed this truck run and drive when it was brought over to my house....that was about a month ago. When I got the truck, it was completely gutted on the inside,no seat, all the ac stuff MIA. So I removed the AC compressor and all the mounting brackets and replaced them with ones from a NON-AC 6.9 truck. I have installed a 3G alternator,gone through the entire wiring harness and removed A LOT of stuff(tach sensor, low vacuum switch,ALL HVAC controls and wiring)I have installed headlight relays,seat and instrument cluster from the wrecking yard,put 99% of the interior back together......still have yet to hear it run again or drive it. The things I still need are; tires(they are military take offs),both batteries,new belts for the vacuum pump and the alternator,registration...it is no longer on record in Kalifornia,so I now have to get a weight cert and a VIN verification. I think I am looking at another $1000 before it's all said and done...and I still will not have driven it yet!
NOW, I have a 5 year old son that has some severe medical disabilities,in fact the Dr.s have said that we are pretty much at the end of his life.:( He has severe brain damage from seizure activity(2-70 per day!)I dont know if I really want to go through all the work and money to finish this thing.) Although I do have a 7yr old son also that likes the truck. So what should I do? I have a chance to trade it back for my '89 Suburban (which runs and drives and is currently registered in my name still) Do I press on or just trade back and find another IDI later? Here are pics of both.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks for the advice.
Lance

058hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't help you on what you should do but you and your family are in our prayers. So sorry to hear about your son.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
I would take back the suburban honestly and dump the truck in a junkyard. Sounds like one of those typical military rip offs? Heard some nasty stories before...

If you have some spare money, get the suburban back and take your ailing son (if possible) on some trips. Beaches? Desert? Anywhere. Make some memories, good or bad before he passes on.

Good luck. There will be a 6.9 waiting out there for you in much better shape then that!

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your situation friend, i wish you and your family the best. I would also recommend taking back the suburban. Spending as much time as possible with your 5 year old would be my top priority, there will be plenty of beat up piece of crap trucks to play with later on. the suburban wont be able to take you as many places with the 2 wheel drive but it can probably fit your family in it better anyways. PLus 454 with a 400? thats rock solid reliable in my book.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The registration would be what concerns me the most. I've never lived in California, but the stories are much worse than here in arkansas. Whatever you do, I wish you and your family the best in the future. You are in prayers for sure.

That's not a bad lookin suburban either.....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swap back spend time with yer son...do as much as you can and create as many good memories and times as possible...

Family first man...toys come n go Family is forever...

You n yer family are in my prayers too!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your son. As much as I hate to do it, I recommend getting your Chevy back. My opinion, You probably have a lot of medical bills. You don't need more expenses on top of all this. It might be expensive to drive, but at least it drives. You'll find another idi later.

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I am at peace with the situation with my son,as hard as it is, he has graced my life as well as my wifes and oldest son's for 5 years,I would not trade that for ANYTHING. As for the trade, I think it would be wise, but I do have another Suburban, a 1996 2500 with the vortec 454,4L80E 2wd, but it's the "plush" Silverado with all leather fully loaded, not gonna want to put some stinky ole fish in it!...lol. But still I think I will either find another IDI to put in my '89 'Burb later on down the road....or if luck has it, a Centurion!
Thank You all again for the advice.
Lance

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive the other burb and put that truck in then garage for better days. Your 7 yr old likes it so work on it with him helping.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gonna try not to turn this into a novel......
I have a 1985 F250 4wd 6.9,std cab. I traded my 1989 Chevy Suburban 2500 (2wd),454 TBI,th400 for this truck. I witnessed this truck run and drive when it was brought over to my house....that was about a month ago. When I got the truck, it was completely gutted on the inside,no seat, all the ac stuff MIA. So I removed the AC compressor and all the mounting brackets and replaced them with ones from a NON-AC 6.9 truck. I have installed a 3G alternator,gone through the entire wiring harness and removed A LOT of stuff(tach sensor, low vacuum switch,ALL HVAC controls and wiring)I have installed headlight relays,seat and instrument cluster from the wrecking yard,put 99% of the interior back together......still have yet to hear it run again or drive it. The things I still need are; tires(they are military take offs),both batteries,new belts for the vacuum pump and the alternator,registration...it is no longer on record in Kalifornia,so I now have to get a weight cert and a VIN verification. I think I am looking at another $1000 before it's all said and done...and I still will not have driven it yet!
NOW, I have a 5 year old son that has some severe medical disabilities,in fact the Dr.s have said that we are pretty much at the end of his life.:( He has severe brain damage from seizure activity(2-70 per day!)I dont know if I really want to go through all the work and money to finish this thing.) Although I do have a 7yr old son also that likes the truck. So what should I do? I have a chance to trade it back for my '89 Suburban (which runs and drives and is currently registered in my name still) Do I press on or just trade back and find another IDI later? Here are pics of both.

Thanks for the advice.
Lance
lance-
if you can make the drive and have a grocery list written up ahead of time, I am quite certain I have all the used parts you need to finish the truck if you really want to press on. the used parts are yours for the asking.
I don't suggest used batteries though, but I can help walk you through the VIN verification process and getting the weight certs.
imho, the guy who traded you for the truck didn't do you any favors and is certainly adding fuel to the fire by not transferring it to his name. which in turn leaves you open for liability.
good luck, my prayers are with you and your family.

added in edit......
i just looked up where in kali you're at. you're down in the inland empire area. for some unknown reason I thought you were up in the sierras around placerville/truckee area. it's going to be quite the drive for you to my place, unfortunately.
still, I'm here to help if you want to go that route.

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lance-
if you can make the drive and have a grocery list written up ahead of time, I am quite certain I have all the used parts you need to finish the truck if you really want to press on. the used parts are yours for the asking.
I don't suggest used batteries though, but I can help walk you through the VIN verification process and getting the weight certs.
imho, the guy who traded you for the truck didn't do you any favors and is certainly adding fuel to the fire by not transferring it to his name. which in turn leaves you open for liability.
good luck, my prayers are with you and your family.

added in edit......
i just looked up where in kali you're at. you're down in the inland empire area. for some unknown reason I thought you were up in the sierras around placerville/truckee area. it's going to be quite the drive for you to my place, unfortunately.
still, I'm here to help if you want to go that route.
Thank YOU! Right now the only things I really need in order for it to go, are tires(was planning on military take offs again. I can get all 4 for $400 like new) 2 batteries,would like to find g31's blems(good luck) and registration. That's pretty much it.

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I had posted in another thread, I (and my son Gavin..he's the 7yr old) wanted to paint the truck Olive Drab and do Halo graphics on it. He (well actually we both are) BIG Master Chief fans. I know that I cannot ignore him either with what HE wants through all of this. I am sooo torn.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I had posted in another thread, I (and my son Gavin..he's the 7yr old) wanted to paint the truck Olive Drab and do Halo graphics on it. He (well actually we both are) BIG Master Chief fans. I know that I cannot ignore him either with what HE wants through all of this. I am sooo torn.
too bad you aren't big on the current desert tan color. i know where there is a few five gallon buckets that's fresh. I am planning on painting my diesel burb with the stuff this summer. :D
I might be able to talk a buddy out of a couple of fairly fresh G31's from a truck he's parting. still, you are going to need alot more parts to justify the drive.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well hold off on the truck I mean family is important Lance your son doesn't have long spend everyday you can with him the truck will always be there