need some help

trisha

Reaction score
I ran a post over at F-series and Super Duty web site. It is under: Lube,Oil,etc. Title: "Please tell me I did not cause this" . If Any of you read it, I don't know how to cut and paste, Can you give me any clues besides what is posted there? Merry Christmas and thanks in advance, Trisha:dunno-cuss

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
here's her post

This is a long story, but I may get into it later. I have been surfing these forums a long time. I have read all the post about the 2 cycle oil to diesel fuel. I have an '02 7.3L Super Duty Lariet. I Filled up with diesel last Friday. I did not do any long drives, just a couple to our farm and back. Day before yesterday, I headed out to Tractor Supply, approx. 9 miles down the road the engine just quit in middle of road. I called a tow truck, took to a ford dealer that I use. Said I threw a bad CPS code. Changed it out, I picked it up. Truck started well, seemed to be a bit "rough" running, but not really bad. About 7 or 8 miles from dealership, truck died in middle of highway. Had towed back to dealership. I have been having trouble with this truck approx. 2 months, of not starting when hot, or not starting at all, but that is whole nother ballgame. No one has found out that problem yet. Please tell me that I did not cause this current problem adding tht 2 cycle motor oil! Regards in advance, Trisha

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I thinking IPR too. It's cheaper to get from IH than Ford. I'd also find another shop.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 cycle oil is just oil.its like dumping the fuel additive in there except you dont get all the extra additives.it could be the little sheet metal nut on the IPR is loose or missing.also the wireing harness to the fuel fileter canister could be shoerting out.spilling fuel on it while changing filters over the years melts the wires and shorts the ipr wires together.if they touch the truck will die.

trisha

Reaction score
Well it is still at dealer, won't act up for them, they don't have a clue and neither do I. sigh.......... trisha

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Is your oil level ok? Low oil levels in a HUEI engine can cause wierd things to happen. The IPR could be the issue, but in my experience it usually causes a no start condition...Are you getting a check engine light when it shuts off? No light then possibly no power/ground to the engine ECM or IDM.....Welcome to the lovely world of electronic diesels, some issues can be very hard to pin down.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
find another dealler.there is a thing called a wiggle test all mechanics should know about it.while the engine is running you start grabbing and jiggling wiring harnesses.id tell them to check the IPR(injection pressure regulator) plug and wiring.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also since yours is an 02 it could have a fuel pump problem since its an electric pump under the drivers door.ford want over 300.00 for it.advance can get it for 200 and its easy enough that if you have any mechanical skills at all you can swap it yourself.