need some advice

slim072590

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my number 1 cylinder, (closest to the radiator and passenger side), was running 30 Deg cooler than the rest.. used a laser temp gauge to read the exhaust manifold temps.. that one cylinder was the only one cooler then the rest by a lot.. the rest were within 3-5 Deg of each other.. from idle to running down the highway

i replaced all 8 injectors with Delphi BB injectors today.. it fixed my knocking i had, but cleared up no white smoke at all, it still smokes a lot of white smoke while under throttle

fired it up and it ran great, was 8 injectors from 1992... now the number 1 cylinder, (closest to the radiator and passenger side), now it runs 8-10 Deg's cooler then the other cylinders.. and all the others are within 1-3 Deg from each other

the injection pump i was "told" is brand new, but it looks like a junkyard IP, its dirty and looks older.. IDK

before i look into a new IP for 600ish bucks should i be worried about the 10 Deg temp difference.. could it be bad piston rings, or valves, or something more serious?

as always, Thanks in advance..
Nick

slim072590

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I waste timing on the "New" injection pump that looks rough? And can timing make one cylinder miss or injector squirt right before or after it's cycle? Making it run a little cooler?

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
Just a thought, but that's the cylinder that has the timing adapter inline on it. Are you missing it by chance? Removing that changes the timing for that cylinder.

The only way to properly remove it is to pull the line for that cylinder off a van, it's adapter is on another cylinder.

slim072590

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing adaptor inline runs from on top of the fuel filler to the fuel return line kit?

I'm not sure what the timing adaptor inline is.. sorry, I'm new to all of this as of a week ago, haha

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
On 7 of your cylinders the injection line screws right onto the fuel injector.

But on the front passenger cylinder on the trucks there is a small, about an inch or so, cylinder that screws onto the injector and the injector line screws onto it. It's for the pulse timing adapter that Ford used at the time. It's obsolete, but if you remove it it shortens the fuel travel and changes the timing for that cylinder.

slim072590

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was not there when I replaced injectors... can I get another one from Ford to make it run right or buy a fuel line for a van and swap it out since it would be longer correct?

slim072590

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about just trying to find that spacer? Think it can be found

And thank you so very much, that's a lot of helpful info and the picture

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
Okay, I've been doing some research on this, even found a Ford part number for that adapter, E85z9f838a , but it's said to cost $266!! LOL.

Sounds like the 6.9 did NOT have this adapter, so that's another option if you can't find the number 1 fuel line from a van, look for a 6.9.

Edit: that part number may be wrong, it comes up nowhere I looked.

Last edited:

slim072590

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good stuff to know... I'm gonna look into it tomorrow when I'm on my computer...

And do all 7.3 N/A have them? Because I'm pretty sure my alternator is where the thermostat housing is at... I have a late 1992 7.3

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online