Need new tires-Cooper Discoverer S/T??

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
I'll be needing new tires soon and I'm thinking about the Cooper Discoverer S/T. I saw a set on a truck today and they looked really nice. The owner said he paid $638. (out the door) for four tires mounted and balanced, LT315/75R16. That's a lot less then I paid for my BFG/AT's. I've had two sets of the BFG/AT's and they're nice lookin tires but not so good off road or for snowplowing. The Coopers have a more aggressive thread and were a bit nosier on the road, as I heard the guy drive away.

Has anyone here owned these Cooper S/T tires? If so what is you opinion of them? I've heard good things about Coopers but have never owned them. I've got a connection for Pro Comp Tires but don't really care for them and have heard that they wear out very quickly. My connection says, "who cares" he can give them to me so cheap, I can but two sets of Pro Comps for the price of one set of anything other brand. But I think I still perfer the Coopers. How about some feedback?

Y2KPSD

dondiesel444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as far as I know Cooper makes ProComp tires. I know the local shop sells Coopers and everyone loves them. I don't care for BFG's anymore, they are way to expensive IMO. I have used the expensive tires and cheap tires on my 97 F-350 and neither lasted longer than another. if you don't like the ProComps I'd say go for the Coopers, you say the Pro Comps wear fast, but don't they have a 50,000 mile treadlife warranty???

btw, where can you get the good deal on the ProComps, wanna pass along the deal to another oilburners member ;Really I was thinking of trying the ProComp AT's :confused:

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
dondiesel444 said:
btw, where can you get the good deal on the Pro Comps, wanna pass along the deal to another oilburners member ;Really I was thinking of trying the Pro Comp AT's :confused: I don't care for BFG's anymore, they are way to expensive IMO.

I agree, BFG's are just too damn expensive. I think you're paying for the name. I've had two sets on this truck and one set on another truck and I don't think they last any longer then any other tires. The only tire I would definitely stay away from is the TrXus Mud Terrain. My buddy has them in 35x12.50R16LT and he'll be lucky to get 20,000 miles on them! :puke:

My son's buddy is a salesman for American Racing Wheels. He tells me they just started selling Pro Comp Tires. He gave me an unbelievable price on my American Racing 16x10 Outlaw II wheels ($60. ea.) Here and said he could do the same with the tires. He does not sell them direct but set the deal up through one of his dealers. Unfortunately, he only offers this deal to his very close friends. :sorry: And he threw in some "special" American Racing/Ford Center Caps which are not available anymore. Check out my truck photos below and see photo #10. :thumbsup:

BTW, I had 35's on my truck but they started rubbing on the plastic liner so I removed them and went back to the 295/75R16's until I can install X-springs and get a little more lift. I think the weight of my winch and occasional use of my snow plow has made my front spring sag a bit.

Y2KPSD

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wore out a set of these tires. About 5K miles on them. They were on my spray pickup and run mostley off road and gravel packing 8000 pounds. 20% steel belt and 80% rubber showing on the tread face. Not bad for traction and above average tread wear for a 235/85/16 load range E in this application. The regular copper discovers last about 1500 miles, the ones that aren't ruined by rock breaks that is. The best tire I have used was the Goodyear C-130 but I do not think they are still made and they are poor traction tires. Also had a set on my old bus, but they were 16.5s. Same roads but were duals and not as much wieght so they lasted about 20,000.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
i always had great service from cooper tires.. but i was running 305's and the discovery AT version... good tires

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
jlayne said:
i always had great service from cooper tires.. but i was running 305's and the discovery AT version... good tires

I just saw a set of Cooper Discoverer STT LOOK HERE on a F-150 in 37X12.50R17LT and they looked outstanding. Unfortunately, in a 16" wheel, they are not available in anything larger then a LT285/75R16 yet but are coming soon! As soon as the are available I'm buying a set in 315/75R16 (35") ;Sweet for my F-350. No more BFG/AT's for me. Like I said before, they are just too damn expensive and I just don't get the mileage out of them. I've just installed the X-springs and gotten an additional 1 1/2" of lift on top of the 3" Donahoe hanger lift so I'm good to go for clearance.

Y2KPSD

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
those are some fine looking tires.. i have a 78 bronco that could use some tires like that

after 2 sets of coopers AT's (with great service) i put on a set of 305 dunlop mud rovers and hated them, they where only on my truck for about 25K... and i just took them off for a set of 265 Michelin LTX M/S... i couln't handle the noise anymore... that would be the only thing i would caution you about it the noise leval going from a BFG AT to the coopers (or any tire with a mud tread) you pointed me to... might not bother you though, i drive about 120 miles a day so i was about to go insane(er) at 80-90 on the interstate the dunlops sounded like i was cleared for takeoff LOL

and as another note.. my fuel mileage increase 3mpg going from a 305 to a 265, but again that might not be a issue for you either, i just would hate to see somebody make a $750 dollar not counting fuel mistake like mine

how do those x springs ride... i have been thinking about doing that to my truck?

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coopers are great! Only tire I like more than the cooper is the Delta sierradial (incidently made by cooper. I had a set on my 350 before I converted to a dually last month. They had over 75% tread left atfter 40k miles. The UTOG (treadlife) rating was 500, to put this into perspective, most top of the line michelins are only 400-440.