Need new batteries

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 7.3 idi with an ats turbo that needs a new pair of batteries, I hear optima moved to China and they arnt as great as they used to be. What are my best options?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had great luck with CAT batteries. Work well and have a good warranty.

Heath

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Many like the interstate blemish batteries because they're cheap.
Many switch to group 32.
Optima couldn't live with the vibration on a diesel years ago, seem to have fixed the problem now.
It's kinda a crap shoot. Pick the best price/warranty combo that makes you happy.

Also inspect your cables.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck had a set of Motorcraft batteries in it when I bought it, when I replaced them they were 8 years old. I replaced them with a fresh set of Motorcrafts, 2 years later they're still doing good.

Check your battery cables while you're in there, these IDI's get pissy when the cables get old and corroded.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your local dealership. There is one in town that is $40 per battery cheaper for Motorcraft than I can get any other brand for anywhere in town.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interstate Battery is my go to anytime I need a battery. The local branch even lets me turn in all my old batteries of any kind whatsoever for store credit.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Interstates are always good.

I would just get a nice AGM style battery from which ever parts store you like the best. There are only a few battery manufacturers anyways, so they just re brand them.

DougsOBS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the advance auto AGMs in my dually. Going on 2 years with them and have been very happy. They were in my PSD bus before the dually and Ive never had a no start from a dead battery.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bigger = better. Period. It doesn't matter what you get, buy the biggest battery you can physically cram in there.
Of the three trucks I'm currently running:
1. '93 has 2 stock-style Motorcraft batteries, at least 6 years old. One is a little weaker than the other, but either will start the truck by itself.
2. '92 has 2 Group 31 batteries; not sure what brand. Both are different, both were 'acquired' at the local dump, both are older(at least 5 years old), and either will start it up just fine.
3. '88 has 1 Group 31 that's 3-4 years old from Carquest, and one is a smaller "advanced category" Carquest battery I got a year or two later as a spare.
Each will start it, but it cranks faster with both. Starter is getting weak on this truck.

I've also got a Walmart battery(not sure on the group, similar in size and the biggest they had one day when I needed one). That's 3-ish years old now, and starts my mom's '02 Powerstroke by itself for a couple of years...

Also had a couple of Les Schwab batteries work for years, do well enough. I thought they were getting weak, but they tested out OK in another truck.

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all of your replies , I heard some pretty good things about the sears platinum batteries made my oddessey. Would those be worth it?

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried to find the Sears Platinum batteries but they seemed to be unavailable, at least in my area. I ended up with the Die Hard Gold batts--850 cranking amps I think. They start just fine and the price was right. I have heard nothing but good things about Odyssey batteries but damn they are expensive! I would stay away from Bosch batteries as the ones that came with my truck lasted just a hair over 2 years--pure crap-ola.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in my superduty, I went to orilies they have group 31's with 1000 CCA's for 120$

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Thank you for all of your replies , I heard some pretty good things about the sears platinum batteries made my oddessey. Would those be worth it?

You are too late, sears stopped selling those awhile ago. Shame really.
I kick myself for not buying them when I had the chance...

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a believer in optima's. I had a yellow top last 7 years in my wrangler and have a pair of red tops in my idi now. I got them on eBay 150$ each shipped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86