Need help with Frankenstein mess - no brakes

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both hard pedal and no pedal issues.

I need to untangle this mess of a rig here. I don't want to just condemn parts, when it looks like there's some unconventional stuff going on. This is a customer's work truck, bought as is. They don't open hoods. The hose in my hand, where does it go?

Booster holds vacuum, sinks very slow. Lines from booster hold. Is there a way to check that vacuum diaphragm that that blocked off line goes to?

You must be registered for see images attach

Going to post up the truck specs in a bit. I can take more pictures

gandalf

Reaction score
You may have missed a picture in there. I don't see your hand, let alone your hand holding a hose.:dunno

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
I see your hand. (fingernail in the top right of the fifth photo)

Ok, that looks to me like the vacuum supply line from the pump, but *** fitting is on the end of it? It should run to the vacuum tree on the firewall. (the same one the booster plugs into) pull the plug and check it for vacuum, mine pulls 22hg. So it should be at least that. Then check for leaks in the system, be aware the tree itself can leak also. Lack of vacuum is likely the hard pedal problem.

For the falling pedal, you have a leak. Is it using break fluid? If not: Then it's almost certainly a dead master cyl. If it IS losing fluid: Start with visually checking the dust covers on the drums in the rear for signs of fluid. Also look at all flexi lines and bleeder valves. If there isn't anything there, go ahead and pull the two bolts holding the master onto the booster, then wiggle it off so you can look up it's butt and check for fluid. If you still do not see anything, and it's using enough fluid (doesn't really take much) then you can pump the pedal to the floor for a while, and wait till it drips. (that's how I found my leak on my towncar)

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's plugged with a screw :/

Not losing brake fluid at all. The customer just did a master. I will try to locate the tree on the firewall as well. Both braking issues are intermittent. I have not felt pedal go to floor, but I have been lucky to verify the hard pedal issue!

The plugged up vacuum line I am holding has been plugged since he got the truck

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the pictures appear washed out n slightly out of focus it's quite difficult to see clearly or I need more beer! That being said looks like someone has attached a hydraulic line to the vacuum pump for some strange reason not too sure. I'll see about getting some shots of what it SHOULD look like if that can help?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i would still be suspiceous of that master, if the pedal is sinking it can be one of 3 things.

1. the internal seals are leaking in the master cylinder
2. brake fluid is leaking out of the system somewhere: fittings, hose, cracked line, wheel cylinder, caliper etc.
3. air in the system is compressing, can the pedal be pumped up?

something else to look at is the rear valve for the anti-lock on the rear brakes. they can get crudded up and can be biotch to get the air out of.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The line your holding in the fifth pic looks like the AC hi side line to the condensor. No Vaccum line has a metal fitting on the end. To check the booster for vac, after running a minute or so, pull the check valve out of the booster, should hear a rush of air going into it.

These pics might help.

Attachments

• brake booster (3).jpg
    brake booster (3).jpg
    549.6 KB · Views: 5
  • brake booster.jpg
    brake booster.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 4
  • brake booster (2).jpg
    brake booster (2).jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 4

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
Someone has really messed with that truck...
I would recommend converting to hydroboost: not much cost for better braking and pedal feel.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These pics make me want to put on my sunglasses, and check to see if my wife's bag of flour is stolen.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
One thing that sticks out to me is the vacuum pump is run off the water pump pulley, and is likely spinning slower than it would be if it was attached to the alternator. I am not sure if it would make a difference, but it looks like a headache in there no matter where you start. Try pulling the vacuum numbers too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle