Need help with Diesel Swap

ProjResponder

Reaction score
First of all, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Michael Netherton. I own a custom fire truck which I spent six years building. I was referred to this forum since I'm very seriously considering puting a diesel engine in my truck. Preferably a PS 7.3. I'd like to know if anyone here had any experience with dropping a PS into a Ford which previously ran gas?

I've seriously considered FordCummins.com since they offer a complete turnkey solution, but I would rather install a PS. I don't want to have to swap the engine crossmember, though and this is the big issue. Would I have to swap the crossmember to install a PS diesel?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Welcome Michael.

To do this swap, the easiest thing you can do is get yourself a donor truck. I would try to find a wrecked truck to do the swap. Other than that I cant really help you. It would be a hard task, but I'm sure it wouldnt be all that bad. Probably a little easier than putting a cummins in it.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
:cheers: and welcome to Oilburners Michael!

First off, a little info on the current gas pig ie: year, 250/350/450 etc... will be very helpful!

Is it the one in your avatar?...looks to be the "Brick" nose body stlye-'87/'92......

Swapping a PSD will require the full chassis wiring to be swapped--preferably...at the very least full engine and tranny harness as there are many wires properitary to PSD's.

What year PSD are you considering?...the orig PSD in the '94/'97 OBS {old body style} are only rated around 225 hp in stock trim, the later '99 /'03 PSD's that came in the Super Duty are intercooled and have a little more punch in stock trim due to different PCM codes/injectors/and intercoolers that the OBS ones did not have.

Fuel tanks will also need a swap......

A complete and functioning dash,PCM etc.....along with a diesel model transmission....the gas ones have diff bolt patterns both auto and manual.

Locating a donor is going to be your best route!

lastly, a few have done IDI conversions into old highboys and Broncos...less wiring and with a properly tuned turbod IDI.....they will put stock PSD's to shame!

Ya got your work cut out :D
Keep us posted and get us some more info on your rig!

ProjResponder

Reaction score
geonc said:
Keep us posted and get us some more info on your rig!
geonc, it is an '87. Originally it had a 351w. It currently has a 460 under the hood. I have to admit, I don't know what an "IDI conversion" is.

All of the hurdles that have been outlined are one of the reasons I've been thinking about the Cummins since FordCummins.com shows that the conversion does not require so much work.

The truck itself is the result of six years of nights and weekends spent in my garage taking the truck apart and rebuilding it from the ground up. When I bought the truck in '87, I wanted to buy a diesel. Because I was stationed by the Air Force in northern Maine, the idea of having diesel truck in sub-zero winters convinced me to buy a gas engine. I wish now I would have bought the diesel anyway. :rolleyes:

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
The IDI is the pre-Powerstroke motor, with an injection system more similar to a GM 6.5, rather than the Powerstroke's computer controlled, oil pressure actuated mess of a system. They were produced in both aspirated and turbocharged form, and has been pointed out, respond very well to turbo charger additions, improvements, and other performance modifications.

Be the way I'd do it if it was me...

ProjResponder

Reaction score
The Bear said:
The IDI is the pre-Powerstroke motor...
I've been doing some research and the IDI does look like it would be a good unit to go with. I have to do some more research on transmissions and such. I'm going to start keeping my eyes out for a donor truck if I can verify that I don't have to swap cross-members or that doing so can be accomplished without having to spread the frame rails.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I've been doing some research and the IDI does look like it would be a good unit to go with. I have to do some more research on transmissions and such. I'm going to start keeping my eyes out for a donor truck if I can verify that I don't have to swap cross-members or that doing so can be accomplished without having to spread the frame rails.

:confused: you lost me on the frame rails.......

I've been around these message boards since '99 and seen a few conversions....none that I'm aware of require any "spreading of the frame rails"

Unless you are a fan of gear rowers ;Sweet the E4OD has a few weaknesses....one good source for well built E4OD's that can take the abuse and have some of the best service around is Brians Truck Shop he is one of the best!

The IDI was available in 2 different belt configureations...a 4 belt system that has it's share of headaches up till mid '92 when Ford changed to a single serpentine belt :hail

Other than the charging system, the accessories are the same-model for model- ie: A/C, power steering.... the swap will be just about bolt for bolt :D

You just may also want to look into going with a hydroboost system in lieu of the vacume pump assisted brakes click here

Michael just look thru or IDI section and post some questions, the guys in the basement are a friendly bunch.....they won't bite LOL and your choice to go IDI is a good one!

What you want is easier than you may think! And we have the info and guys willing to help right here ;Sweet

ProjResponder

Reaction score
geonc said:
you lost me on the frame rails.......

What you want is easier than you may think! And we have the info and guys willing to help right here
I figured that to change the cross-member, the frame would have to be spread apart in order to remove/replace the piece. Sounds like it can be done w/o doing so. That's great news.

I'm headed to the basement... Thank you very much for the words of encouragement. This sounds more and more doable. :thumbsup:

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I figured that to change the cross-member, the frame would have to be spread apart in order to remove/replace the piece. Sounds like it can be done w/o doing so. That's great news.

I'm headed to the basement... Thank you very much for the words of encouragement. This sounds more and more doable. :thumbsup:

No worries!
The rear crossmember is actually in 3 pieces....the main and 2 wings that all bolt together.

You will be in good hands down there :D

ProjResponder

Reaction score
geonc, I was referring to the engine's cross-member. This is the one I'm concerned with having to replace :(

Time to do some more homework...

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
replace no... drill holes maybe??

With what you've done to that truck an IDI install should be a cake walk!!!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

ProjResponder

Reaction score
replace no... drill holes maybe??

With what you've done to that truck an IDI install should be a cake walk!!!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It would have been easier had I done this originally, but then gas was not that expensive during the first 2½ years I was building it. At around $1.15 a gallon, I was not concerned about fuel efficiency :mad: But yes, it does appear that this should not be too bad. :D

Should be rivited in.. just cut 'em and replace them with 9/16" Grade 8 bolts and LOTSA lock-tite
My concern was having to spread the frame rails to swap the cross-members. I'm going to go out to Miller's Auto Salvage in Owensville and get that cross-member out of a wrecked diesel F350 since it's only $100. I'd like to have the correct frame work for the new motor.