Need Help, No Boost on Factory Turbo Install

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
I purchased a new to me, used 1993 Ford factory turbo with waste gate. I believe this would Garett 093 model, which has the .071 inlet.

I took the last couple of days and took my time installing this unit on my 1991 F-350 7.3 IDI. I made sure that oil pressure (45 to 50 lbs) was present before completly hooking the oil line up to the turbo.

Turbo has nice whistle when running and during test drive.

:dunno My question is this, when I installed my boost guage tonight, it will not show any signs of boost. I thought that it may have been the guage and changed to an exter one I had on hand and it did not respond either.

Oh and EGTs are at 200 degrees at idle...

Any help would be appreciated.....

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you make sure that you had no exhaust or intake hat leaks?

It could be that you need more fuel.

I had major exhaust leaks and my turbo would whistle like no tomorrow but had no boost till really laying down the hammer. Then the smoke would clear and I had boost.

Im planning to put my banks kit on at some point but kindo of like not have the turbo so I may leave the truck na for awhile. My ATS kit seals gave out and started dumping oil down the exhuast.

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
I will have to triple check my intake seals, but I believe that my exhaust is pretty much solid. I have not turned up the fuel yet, was worried about the egts. What are they suppose to be at idle with a turbo?

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
Haven't thought about that, I'll have to try that along with turning up the IP tomorrow, when I get off work...

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't thought about that, I'll have to try that along with turning up the IP tomorrow, when I get off work...

Like was said before, egt at idle has nothing to do with the fuel being turned up or down. I bet when you crank that fuel up a ways, that thing will boost really nice.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
when i first put my 093 factory turbo on it whistled and sounded mean but didnt make the truck run better. i had an up pipe leaking where the connection needed cleaned up and i had to turn up the fuel. it does not take much of a leak to loose a lot of boost.

Last edited:

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the advise, I'll have to try this, if this raiin will let up... Hope to have better news later..

Thanks again

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my banks sidewinder non-wastegate gets 3-4 PSI when I'm getting on it, and in 4th gear cruising. Up to 5 if I really get on it and/or brake boost.

Not sure if I got a leak or what. I know theres a few exhaust leaks - can see the soot at the exhaust mani gaskets and such. I've heard up to 8 PSI out of these turbos though, unless pulling a decent load :dunno

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
When I did my factory turbo on my 85 it wouldn't build above 3psi, the cast iron elbow wasn't tight enough and it was leaking bad. Hit it with the impact gun and now it boosts instantly. I blocked my wastegate and now it peaks at 14. Also cranked up the fuel.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
idle cold will be 200> and idle warm about 300 in my experience.

around town im usually 3-400 unless going fast or hard LOL

also you can test the gauge with compressed air just be very careful. i turned my compressor on and waited about 15 seconds and used a small length of tubing to test it out, and got 15-30 psi:thumbsup: